[SOLVED] Power switch wire colors ?

Lordslayer

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Im trying to build my rig into a temporary case that happens to be a dell. The only markings on it say vostron with a sticker saying n series.

Whoever had this before removed the plastic caps on the end with the labeling. Im left with a power switch and a reset switch. Not too worried about the reset but if that can be sorted as well it would be nice. What i do need is the correct colors so i can connect the correct wires to my mobo.

Power switch has the following wires - black (with a split at the end so 2 connectors), blue, orange and green.

Reset has 1 white and 1 red.

Solution
It seems that power switch has also LEDs inside. Get a multi-meter, switch it to Resistance, and check resistance between black and every other wire, Repeat the measurements by swapping the leads on the multimeter. The wires where the readings differe vastly are LEDs, the other wire should be the power switch. Check resistance with switch depressed.

If this sounds too complicated - try to find out a service manual for this Vostro at Dell web site (check the case for serial number).
It seems that power switch has also LEDs inside. Get a multi-meter, switch it to Resistance, and check resistance between black and every other wire, Repeat the measurements by swapping the leads on the multimeter. The wires where the readings differe vastly are LEDs, the other wire should be the power switch. Check resistance with switch depressed.

If this sounds too complicated - try to find out a service manual for this Vostro at Dell web site (check the case for serial number).

Solution

Lordslayer

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Thanks Alabalcho. Sounds straight forward, now if only i had a multimeter :censored::giggle:. I have tried the manual thing but could only get a vostro laptop one. Will check the case again but i dont recall there being a serial number stuck on somewhere. Then again, if you remove the plugs on you wiring what is to stop you from removing stickers with serials on them. Lol

Lordslayer

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Okay so i found a sticker on the inside of all places. This seems to be a vostro a180 based on the serial. The manual is useless however, only covers plug and play replacements.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Getting OEM PC wiring diagrams is hit or miss. And Dell is always doing weird things with their front I/O

You can force the PC to start with power applied by shorting the standby 5V+ to ground on the power supply (That is all a power switch does). Generally don't need a reset switch if the system is reliable enough, if it does crash, you can just kill the power. Not ideal, but you did mention this is temporary.

Lordslayer

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
That is an idea but the kids will be using it and dont want them to be fiddling with the board. Will probably be for a month or 3 till i can get a proper case again but till then...if all else fails i can cobble something together, i was just hoping i didnt have to :ROFLMAO:

Lordslayer

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Thanks for all the suggestions. Figured it out now, at least in general. The blue and black is power switch. Orange and green is power + and power -. Which is which is still unclear but the power switch works with black on pwr switch+ and blue on pwr switch -

Reactions: Alabalcho