Dec 9, 2020
Hi All,

I am having an issue with my razer blade 15 laptop. I noticed my CPU fans were on quite a bit even when doing little things and that the temps were in the high 70's (C) even when just browsing the web. I was going to do some undervolting but saw Intel XTU does not support my CPU. But I also noticed during my testing that my CPU was power throttling. It rarely thermal throttled but it did happen a few times. I took it apart and put new thermal paste on it. Lets just say the old paste was terribly applied. My CPU now sits below 70 C even during a stress test. I was running this stress test on Intel XTU with the power plugged in (and sometimes without to see a difference) and noticed my CPU was still power throttling. I was hoping it was the fans blowing at full blast taking some power. I am trying to figure out a way to make it stop power throttling.

Here is some more info.
It rarely hit 45 watts (which is from what I found the wattage at max turbo boost)
It NEVER hit the full 4.1 turbo, it stayed around 2.6 to 3.1 Ghz throughout the testing.
It normally stayed around 32 to 35 watts during this test
the temps were all below 70 C.
It power throttles the entire test and it even power throttles at idle about 30 to 50% of the time which in my opinion, i feel it shouldnt be throttling at idle.
No thermal throttling at all. (Tcap is at 100 C on this CPU)
The GPU temps are low (below 60) and solid.

CPU: i7 8750H
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: 32GB Hyper X 3200 Mhz (I dont remember if XMP is enabled but I think its off) This was an aftermarket upgrade from 16gb
512gb nvme m.2

Things I have tried:
New thermal paste (better cooling)
Plugging power in and using only battery (same results each time)
Used throttlestop to underclock the CPU by a max of 140mV. There was no change when doing this.
Tried some other things in throtlestop like bringing down the turbo clock to 3.2.

Do you think this is just a Razer software thing? Whats the point of putting a decent CPU in a laptop if you are only using half of it at its peak performance?
I have been trying to reach razer but due to Covid, their support is not as open.

Solution
It's strange to see your CPU power throttle when below 90C. I also have a Razer advanced with the i7 9750h (which produces even more heat that the 8750h) and it stays at 4ghz sustained under the heaviest of loads, so it's not a problem with the laptop's design not being able to support a powerful CPU. Something that helped me was going to Throttlestop and setting the speed shift to 0 (its on the left side of the main menu in throttlestop). This basically pins the frequencies as high as possible unless they can't stay there. If that doesn't work you can go ahead in TPL (its one of the options in the throttlestop menu) and make sure both the power max and short power max are set to at least 45 (which represents how much wattage your CPU...

Mattkatt

Prominent
Dec 13, 2020
It's strange to see your CPU power throttle when below 90C. I also have a Razer advanced with the i7 9750h (which produces even more heat that the 8750h) and it stays at 4ghz sustained under the heaviest of loads, so it's not a problem with the laptop's design not being able to support a powerful CPU. Something that helped me was going to Throttlestop and setting the speed shift to 0 (its on the left side of the main menu in throttlestop). This basically pins the frequencies as high as possible unless they can't stay there. If that doesn't work you can go ahead in TPL (its one of the options in the throttlestop menu) and make sure both the power max and short power max are set to at least 45 (which represents how much wattage your CPU is given by your AC). You can actually go ahead and set them to 60 since your CPU should be able to consume as much as 60 watts as long as the Temps allow it, but keep an eye on it for a bit and see if it heats up or not. If it goes above 90c just leave it at 45 watts. You can also disable BD PROCHOT ( you can find BD PROCHOT under the speed shift toggle) That will NOT disable your CPU's capability to protect itself from overheating, but it prevents other components of the motherboard from unnecessarily throttling it. Let me know if anything works.

Solution
Dec 9, 2020
It's strange to see your CPU power throttle when below 90C. I also have a Razer advanced with the i7 9750h (which produces even more heat that the 8750h) and it stays at 4ghz sustained under the heaviest of loads, so it's not a problem with the laptop's design not being able to support a powerful CPU. Something that helped me was going to Throttlestop and setting the speed shift to 0 (its on the left side of the main menu in throttlestop). This basically pins the frequencies as high as possible unless they can't stay there. If that doesn't work you can go ahead in TPL (its one of the options in the throttlestop menu) and make sure both the power max and short power max are set to at least 45 (which represents how much wattage your CPU is given by your AC). You can actually go ahead and set them to 60 since your CPU should be able to consume as much as 60 watts as long as the Temps allow it, but keep an eye on it for a bit and see if it heats up or not. If it goes above 90c just leave it at 45 watts. You can also disable BD PROCHOT ( you can find BD PROCHOT under the speed shift toggle) That will NOT disable your CPU's capability to protect itself from overheating, but it prevents other components of the motherboard from unnecessarily throttling it. Let me know if anything works.

I will take a look and see what I can do. I am pretty unfamiliar with throttlestop so this helps. Just seems odd that out of factory is has a power throttle. I plan to call Razer but I have had no luck getting a hold of them.