PowerColor Adds Devil Box To Emerging External Graphics Enclosure Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
if the gtx 1080M benches (http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-m-pascal-mobility-flagship-inbound/) hold true, the need for these bulky accessories will disappear fairly quickly.

if the gtx 1080M benches (http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-m-pascal-mobility-flagship-inbound/) hold true, the need for these bulky accessories will disappear fairly quickly.

Not really. Why haul an overpriced and heavy gaming laptop with no battery life around when you can buy a thin one with a good processor and battery life that can still game like crazy with this extra?

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Kinda fugly, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? Let's hope they set a standard by not gouging people for it like some of the competitors. The price on these things should be about $200 and no more. It's basically an enclosure and PSU so I think $200 or less sounds about right.

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I blame razr - because of them this will be priced higher than it needs to be at first (i.e. the margins will be good). Expect them to drop over the next 2 years before stabilising to something more akin to a NAS enclosure. Under $200 seems like the sweet spot. Imagine not needing a gaming PC anymore - just buying a good (even thin, portable & stylish) laptop with a few USB3.1c/Thunderbolt 3 ports (1 for power, 1 or more for external graphics etc) and one of these eGPUs. The average PC gamer also has a laptop. Even if you wanted something more stationary, you can fit a mini-ITX build into something much smaller than an old phone book with a pico PSU ~150W to use with one of these eGPUs. The future is great, and hopefully this is the thing that will kill locked in consoles for good.

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
I don't know about 6700HQ but the Razer Blade with i7-6500u (integrated grpahics) and thunderbolt 3 for use with the razer core eGPU case is probably the best one right now. Good prices for the blade, but the core eGPU case costs an extortionate $500 without the card!

robodan918

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

I don't know about 6700HQ but the Razer Blade with i7-6500u (integrated grpahics) and thunderbolt 3 for use with the razer core eGPU case is probably the best one right now. Good prices for the blade, but the core eGPU case costs an extortionate $500 without the card!

steve4king

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Seems like there could be a demand for a semi-AIO monitor. Skip the CPU, Mobo, Memory and Storage and just slap a large video card and connectivity back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.