PowerColor Shows Radeon HD With Eyefinity 12

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aneasytarget

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
A sports bar could use the 12 displays all showing the game on a HUGE monitor. Think of the advertising; better than being there!

septentriones

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
looking at the card though, you can use only two slots if you don't use the extender bar for the second set of six connectors. Depending on the room you might also be able to liquid cool and eliminate the vent slot, cutting the whole thing back to two. Have not done this I can't tell for sure but it would be neat if it were possible.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]nusgo[/nom]At home I use just the monitor of my laptop (15.6") and at work use a dual monitor setup (my laptop and an old IBM 16" CRT) and when it comes to choosing and @ the same resolution I actually prefer in most ways the CRT over the LCD (in these sizes 13"-17), for one, you see the same picture no matter if you're moving/reclining on your chair, there's no bleeding, dark colors look way better, etc. But I'm aware I must be one of the very few with this anti-progress thinking.[/citation]

Your fail is in comparing a CRT to a bottom dollar TN panel. With all the misleading specifications, they always look like a deal until you sit down in front of a nice S-IPS panel and see LCDs you spend CRT prices on actually look nice.

I also took forever to upgrade to LCD. I had three Sony GS monitors which would handle a stable refresh up to 160hz and great color. Unfortunately, they just don't pop like a good DreamColor or IPS display does after being properly calibrated.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]a 60" TV at 1080p has the exact same visual space as a 20" TV at 1080p, the only difference is the pixels are bigger. 12 individual 1080p monitors setup in 4x3 is 7680x3240 MASSIVELY more visual space then any one single 60" TV can have now. Yea the borders can be annoying, but I will learn to live with it or try my hand at modding them on an old monitor before making my own no border display[/citation]

I think it is more likely you will get neither the card, or mod any displays.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]spoofedpacket[/nom]Your fail is in comparing a CRT to a bottom dollar TN panel. With all the misleading specifications, they always look like a deal until you sit down in front of a nice S-IPS panel and see LCDs you spend CRT prices on actually look nice.I also took forever to upgrade to LCD. I had three Sony GS monitors which would handle a stable refresh up to 160hz and great color. Unfortunately, they just don't pop like a good DreamColor or IPS display does after being properly calibrated.[/citation]
I guess that depends on what CRT you were using. I had a 22" Sun CRT for years that I got off lease for under $200. When I went to "upgrade" to LCD I found that most lcd's can't do the 2048x1536 res I was used to and didn't look so hot. I ended up going for a 30" because at the time that was the only way to get over 2048 on an LCD. Don't get me wrong, I love my S-IPS 30" LCD - but MOST lcd's are garbage compared to a halfway decent crt.

And I still wish I could have found a 4:3 LCD. 16:10 (or 9) is great for movies, but when I watch movies I use my big screen tv. My computer is for gaming and work. I guess 16:10 would be great if I bought an aftermarket stand that allowed rotation to portrait mode.

Wow.. I sure did go off topic into left field 'eh? sorry for the rant.

ajy0903

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
[citation][nom]cbrei10213[/nom]I dont know about this. With 12 monitors you are gonna need to crossfire. and with that taking up 3 slots You are gonna be limited to 2 cards, really I think you would need 3 or 4 to get decent performance across 12 monitors. I guess we will have to wait and see though.[/citation]

Did you hear about the new motherboard that they are making?
The " Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9" one?
I'm not sure where but, I think I saw news or spec of it.
It says it support up to Quad SLI or Quad Crossfire

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]kelemvor4[/nom]I guess that depends on what CRT you were using. I had a 22" Sun CRT for years that I got off lease for under $200. When I went to "upgrade" to LCD I found that most lcd's can't do the 2048x1536 res I was used to and didn't look so hot. I ended up going for a 30" because at the time that was the only way to get over 2048 on an LCD. Don't get me wrong, I love my S-IPS 30" LCD - but MOST lcd's are garbage compared to a halfway decent crt.And I still wish I could have found a 4:3 LCD. 16:10 (or 9) is great for movies, but when I watch movies I use my big screen tv. My computer is for gaming and work. I guess 16:10 would be great if I bought an aftermarket stand that allowed rotation to portrait mode.Wow.. I sure did go off topic into left field 'eh? sorry for the rant.[/citation]

CRT does, or at least did, provide better visual quality compared to lcd, but the physical size and the energy consumption taken into account, they just aren't good enough anymore. Last year we ditched our faithful old samsung 19" crt monitors that the (autodesk) inventor people were hanging on to, and they're fairly happy with the 22" lcd screens they have now. They're not better in terms of quality, but they give them more space for papers, and they're not as hard on the eyes as crt's are.

Anyway, widescreen isn't bad actually. On a laptop for productivity, yes it is bad. But here at my desk I've got a 24" hp - and the widescreen means I can read two full pages in word at the same time, and when I rdp to a server, I can see all I have to on it, and still have access to my desktop icons. Plus I find it easier for my eyes to scroll from side to side than up and down.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]maimai77[/nom]Really, all I am trying to say is that this is rediculous! We don't even need 2 monitors. Sure it is luxoury but, realistically, we don't need to waste money. I gave Africa as an example, but really guys,c'mon...this is just nuts. I am not starting a flame thread.[/citation]

Who are you to know what people need ? stop seeing things this black and white. I NEED two monitors (or one high res one at least), and I know situations that require more than two. Poor doesn't influence what you need. It merely limits what you can have.

I don't need 5 monitors, but I can tell you, it makes my courses a LOT easier. four centos images on my 1080p monitor in runlevel 3, one in runlevel 5 for GUI client on my 1280x1024, my course instructions open in big font on my tv monitor, multi-tab chrome open in both of my remaining monitors to google stuff the course instructions didnt tell me or to get online materials. THAT is a real reason for a 1055t and 16GB of memory. Sure beats the hell out of the Core 2 duo single monitor systems we have at school.
If I gotta do something at school, I steal my neighbour's monitor and do an "mstsc /multimon"

A 6950 1GB serves 3 monitors and could serve one more with a mDP adapter. But past that, the expense of specialized adapters or monitors is too much. My other two are served by my ATI integrated 4290. A low profile passive 6450 will serve more monitors if I can get my hands on more.

When I do my daily stuff, I usually split my 1080p monitor into four explorer windows for quick file browsing in multiple locations. My 768 monitor is best for web browsing and my 1024 is used for my rdp connections, usually to my server (ftp,file,media,apache). The Tv is used for movies and games. The CRT serves for my music playlist and system monitoring tools. It's unfortunate that RDP is either all monitors or just one. Netbook or phone for chat programs.

There are real reasons for 12 monitors. Why else would they build it? From what I gather, financial analysts use a lot and stock people too. That said, I don't know anything about stock markets. I'd also assume some autocad or other design programs. There's advertising markets who need an inexpensive solution to a 200" screen and can't use a projector. There's even the possibility of setting up a single computer to host multiple users across virtual machines, one per monitor, with keyboards and mice dedicated to each VM.

I've personally found multiple smaller resolution monitors alongside a couple 1080p monitors to be most productive. The windows 7 "snap to half" is definitely a nice feature too.

And of course there is always Mr. Universe. He likely uses 2-3 of these cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.