PowerColor Shows Radeon HD With Eyefinity 12

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]Will this card also sport 2gb ddr5 per gpu? That would be KILLER! The only thing a 480 really has over a 5870 is a bigger frame buffer. Imagine being able to oc this thing to 5870+ speeds... yum[/citation]
Yes, "brightsideofnews.com" ran an article about this card a week ago (http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/4/28/powercolor-to-launch-a-12-display-card!.aspx ) It's 4Gb.

Personally I don't think this was made with anyone at home in mind. Large multi screen displays at businesses will be MUCH cheaper to implement with something like this.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ryanjm[/nom]I don't think this tech will be worth it until you can get zero border monitors.[/citation]
It appears you have not heard of borderless "PROJECTORS".

cbrei10213

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I dont know about this. With 12 monitors you are gonna need to crossfire. and with that taking up 3 slots You are gonna be limited to 2 cards, really I think you would need 3 or 4 to get decent performance across 12 monitors. I guess we will have to wait and see though.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cbrei10213[/nom]I dont know about this. With 12 monitors you are gonna need to crossfire. and with that taking up 3 slots You are gonna be limited to 2 cards, really I think you would need 3 or 4 to get decent performance across 12 monitors. I guess we will have to wait and see though.[/citation]

I could definetly see the use! Think about a walmart like place. An x58 system with 4 of those cards could power pretty much all their different displays with just a single computer

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I'm thinking 12 1920x1080 projectors on a screen so big they could watch you play Quake 3 from space (Q3 because I don't think too many games could be playable at 7680x3240).

I wonder how many rows and columns you could display at once in Excel?

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]That is an option bit can your case handle it? Also more than one? Are yo trying to create a movie theatre. For those who are willing to spenf money...this is what I would recommend: Get a good 60" plasma TV and hook the sucker up. That way you have alot of visual space and a lack of pannel frames.[/citation]
a 60" TV at 1080p has the exact same visual space as a 20" TV at 1080p, the only difference is the pixels are bigger. 12 individual 1080p monitors setup in 4x3 is 7680x3240 MASSIVELY more visual space then any one single 60" TV can have now. Yea the borders can be annoying, but I will learn to live with it or try my hand at modding them on an old monitor before making my own no border display :p

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]a 60" TV at 1080p has the exact same visual space as a 20" TV at 1080p, the only difference is the pixels are bigger. 12 individual 1080p monitors setup in 4x3 is 7680x3240 MASSIVELY more visual space then any one single 60" TV can have now. Yea the borders can be annoying, but I will learn to live with it or try my hand at modding them on an old monitor before making my own no border display[/citation]

There are monitors out there, which are made specificly to have very little border space. If it's slim enough, you won't actually notice it.

Computer_Lots

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
This would be most useful on workstations in the financial or CAD industries. Of course, an ATI FIRE or other workstation version would be better because of driver compatibility. Unless AMD finally does what makes the most sense and just allows the workstation driver to work with gaming cards which are much cheaper and faster. I work in the financial IT industry and most of our systems have at least 4 monitors. I could see some guys actually using 12 and asking for more :)

dreamer77dd

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
this could be good for development for monitors, i think they have a lot of room to grow. It does not hit my expectation of were i think we should be when it comes to monitors.
*Think of talking to 12 people at once on Skype, stock market, air traffic controller, starcraft, surveillance, thats all i can think of

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]Hello, why are people wasting money on hardware components. It is not like we are 'future proofing' our pc's at all. We are a wasteful country, nation and world. People are starving in Africa and the money that will buy this gpu could feed a family of 6 for a whole YEAR! Think about it. Some of us cannot even afford i7 builds because of this recession/depression. These companies really need to faces economical reality.[/citation]

dogman_1234 :
then why in the world are you on here? You shouldn't be spending money to have internet or waste time you could be devoting to helping those starving children in Africa.

seriously... this is a tech site and this is new technology... advancement in technology shouldn't quit just because there are starving kids... if anything this is all the more reason for it... spread your words on some other site where it would make sense for you to be... not here

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]a 60" TV at 1080p has the exact same visual space as a 20" TV at 1080p, the only difference is the pixels are bigger. 12 individual 1080p monitors setup in 4x3 is 7680x3240 MASSIVELY more visual space then any one single 60" TV can have now. Yea the borders can be annoying, but I will learn to live with it or try my hand at modding them on an old monitor before making my own no border display[/citation]

just think of having a 60+ inch tv that is actually 6+ in one, straight from the manufacturer so that there are no bezels (borders), just multiple connectors in the back... might happen not far from now with technology like eyefinity....

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]dogman_1234[/nom]That is an option bit can your case handle it? Also more than one? Are yo trying to create a movie theatre. For those who are willing to spenf money...this is what I would recommend: Get a good 60" plasma TV and hook the sucker up. That way you have alot of visual space and a lack of pannel frames.[/citation]

This is not for watching movies and as stated even a projector on a 100" screen is still gonna run 1080p.

Me personally I could easily use 3 monitors alone for my audio workstation with another couple up top for my various control panels and apps I use during the process of recording.

This is not about size, it's about pixels and will be mostly for workstation type stuff (audio, video, engineers).

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I think you guys are missing the point. A "jumbotron" display like at a football game costs like 3-17 MILLION dollars. Stick two of these (yes, they do support crossfire) into a high end pc, power 24 large format LCD's (maybe 48 if you can run 4 way crossfire). Sure there would be some mechanical work disassembling the displays and removing bezels etc. but you could build a giant display system for a heck of a lot cheaper than 3 mill. It could put large displays in the hands of individual store owners. Instead of putting neon or cardboard displays in my storefront, I could build a wall of monitors behind the window and have it display whatever I want. I bet you could put togather a decent sized 12 display setup with like 12 40" displays for 20-40k.

12x samsung 40" displays - 13k, this card.. maybe 2k? decent system to run it, maybe another 2k, and custom mounting to remove bezels and make it look like one big unit, maybe 10k. Sounds like a bargain to me. You'd get a display over 8 feet tall and 9 feet wide. Go crossfire, add 15k to the price and you've got 16x18 (feet)..

You could use rear projection with a giant screen and an array of projectors as well but for some reason the world shuns projector based systems these days.

I'm sure you could find bigger displays and add more via crossfire. This is awesome for businesses who have a need.

Also, you wouldn't have to go with a square config. What if you used a bunch of monitors all in a row on the front of your store. Now you've got the ability to display your store logo, and/or anything else you want. In a good location you could even sell advertising; which as everyone knows is almost always lucrative.

dreadllokz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
I can say... good only for entreprise! since is impossible to run any games with nice fps rate with 12 monitors! anyway its a god try!

mwoller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Who needs Eyefinity 6? I have my 50" Plasma.

Not having bezels in my way > higher res IMO - 1920x1080 is good enough for me. So, too, is having the extra several THOUSAND DOLLARS in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.