PowerColor's Air-Cooled R9 295X2 Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
so... power color made a r9-295x2 which will temp throttle? Shouldn't that be the headline? and 4x8pin connectors? Ambitious on the overclocks they'll get with that air cooling system aren't they?

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
this card gonna be sooo hot that you wont even need a heater in your house
The total amount of heat added to your household will be the same whether the dual Hawaii cards are liquid cooled or air cooled.

I will wait and see before I condemn this beast. It may be that a triple slot air cooler will be sufficient . . . not likely seeming, but possible.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
LMAO, 4X 8 Pin Power Connectors. This really shows how AMD is trying to brute force its way over Nvidia. Using double the Power and producing double the heat, "but hey, we made a fast gpu" good job amd

Amdlova

Distinguished
LMAO, 4X 8 Pin Power Connectors. This really shows how AMD is trying to brute force its way over Nvidia. Using double the Power and producing double the heat, "but hey, we made a fast gpu" good job amd

i think you dind't see the point. you never will touch de 4x8 pin power on air or water but with some nitrogen hellium or other type will hit hard and this card will be the fastest single pcb on earth...

so... power color made a r9-295x2 which will temp throttle? Shouldn't that be the headline? and 4x8pin connectors? Ambitious on the overclocks they'll get with that air cooling system aren't they?
That heatsink is 3 layer thick. I would give it a chance first.

this has nothing to do with AMD... this is a non-reference version of that GPU, this is Power Color's baby. This is no different then the "kingpin" edition of the 780ti... that's not nvidia's doing, thats an EVGA non-reference version of the 780ti.

Nvidia's GK110 die size is a little bit more than 28% larger than AMD's Hawaii XT yet Nvidia comes away with only 5-10% more performance in most games. For reference the die sizes are as follows in mm^2: GK110 561, Hawaii XT 438. More like Nvidia brute forcing its way onto AMD if you aks me...

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Except that the NVidia solutions run at lower power and cooler than AMD. Thus if one were to pick one design that is being "brute forced," it would be the one that is having to work harder to achieve equal performance.

No, it is not just you.
I was thinking the exact same thing after seeing the photos.

This definitely looks like a beastly cooler.
With the R9 295X2's 75°C ceiling, I doubt it will be a quiet card; but that cooler looks like it can keep temps in check at least.

Nothing I will ever be able to afford, but I am still interested in seeing benchmarks for it!

I don't understand what you are trying to say. Everything you said in your first statement is a direct outcome of having a larger die size. Nvidia's die size has a less performance for the space ratio. What i was trying to say was if AMD made their GPUs the same size as Nvidia's then they would dominate performance wise. Although not trying to start a flame war, i'm just stating facts. Nvidia's GPUs are 28% larger but do not yield 28% more performance (most cases only 5-10%).

catswold

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
To get the same performance from an AMD chip, it has to be pushed harder. It has to work harder--consume more energy and produce more heat for a given level of performance.

Size only relates to the efficiency of the processor's architecture, not how hard it has to work to do the job.

Brunostako

Honorable
I'm pretty sure that with 4 x 8-pin connectors you no longer require at least 28 Amps on each of them like in the reference model. Also, if they're targeting OCers they are gonna need that power capacity and those fans do look different, i bet they use more power and deliver more airflow than normal or common fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.