[SOLVED] Powerline Wi-Fi adapter (TP-Link AV600) problems

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
I've been using the TP-Link AV600 Powerline Adapter (TL-WPA4220 KIT) for a while but yesterday it decided to stop working. I troubleshooted the heck out of it and can't seem to get it to work again (or at least not fully). I restarted/replugged both my router and the adapters and it started working for a bit, that is until I plugged in my ethernet devices to my adapter (a network switch that has my main computer and also a NAS server) which promptly cut the connection. But the moment I unplugged the ethernet cable from the adapter everything worked fine again. Like over Wi-Fi I still had an internet connection, but the moment I plug in an ethernet cable to the adapter, the Wi-Fi stops working. All the LEDs are solid green (Powerline & Internet connection) too. So then, I replugged the adapters with no success and restarted my router, and now I'm back at square one.

One theory I have is something to do with the power being supplied. On my router (Pace 5268 AC, AT&T Fiber), the Power LED blinks red and green after I restarted it for some reason and maybe it's neutering the connection via Ethernet to the powerline adapter connected to my router? Another somewhat unlikely theory I have is that my network got compromised. I opened up ports 500, 4500, and 25565 on my NAS/home server (Raspberry Pi 4B), and maybe someone with malicious intent did something that caused this? Or is it something to do with me opening ports up in general?

Some more stuff to note is that I use the Pi I have connected to my adapter (not to my router) as a DNS sinkhole (Pi-Hole) for my devices. I don't have it configured network-wide (like I have to manually go into my devices to route the DNS server to Pi-Hole), but maybe it's something to do with that? I also have UFW as a basic firewall on it, and maybe that firewall is somehow communicating to my adapter to block out an internet connection to all my devices? Like I don't even know if what I'm saying makes sense anymore, but I'd be happy to provide more information. What I find bizarre about all of this is how random it was, like I didn't configure anything with my network or mess around with any settings and out of nowhere, it decides to just brick itself.

ethan206

Honorable
Jul 27, 2018
Hey there,

Have you reset the units? I know it's a pain to reconfigure, but any issue I've had with my AV600 have always been resolved with a reset.

Yep, it works now. I actually did do a hardware reset using the button on the adapter but it didn't work so I used the TP-PLC app to software reset it and now it works so I guess it fixed itself.