G

Which Powerline Router will you buy?
I've seen the "Devolo dLAN 500 AVplus" is very fast, up to 500 Mbit/s.
Have you some Powerline adapters?

RealBeast

Titan
Do not expect to get anywhere near 500mbps on any powerline devices, you will get far less than the stated rate even on the same electrical circuit.

For example, I recently tested a pair of Zyxel 500mbps (PLA4205) and with nothing else active on a single circuit 6 feet apart the best they could do was 103mbps. At a distance (across the house) they were around 25-50mbps. The target computers achieved 830mbps on wired gigabit using the same cables as the powerline test ssd to ssd, running LAN Speed Test.

From many review that I've gone through, most reviewers found no enhanced speed from the 500mbps over the 200mbps models.

jesperloh

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
True, totally agree on that. And the thing is you will still need to relate the service you signed up from your isp, so even if you were to get the Aztech powerline 1gbps, it wont just increase your networking speed. Just a capacity that it can contribute.

RealBeast

Titan
While powerline adapters are useful, they fail at some tasks like streaming HD video. They may work fine for limited bandwidth requirements. No powerline device, however, has been demonstrated to get over 100mbps over any distance no matter how fast it was "supposed" to work.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Realbeast is right, don't expect to get too far with powerline. There are too many factors involved in such a connection if you want to have decent speed.
Your best bet is probably wifi if you're trying to get network connections elsewhere in your house. A wireless bridge will set you up nicely.

RealBeast

Titan

There are no powerline units that will get reliable speeds beyond 100mbps, period.

Anyone that says otherwise is lying (like the companies that sell the stuff) or on drugs.

They are useful, but not for high bandwidth applications. I have found that the data from here is reliable in terms of what you will actually get: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/powerline-charts/view

bocaboy

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I've had great success with the TP Link powerline adapters. They're available in two flavors: 200 mps and 1gps. I use the slower of the two, as my sole goal was to get the fastest Internet access I could to my laptop. It worked like a charm! I'd recommend the TP Link adapter based on my experience, although there are certainly other manufacturers, such as by Belkin and D-Link.

One nuance to these adapters that I'd add. It's sometimes hard to give up an AC outlet for a powerline adapter. You might want to consider adapters that have an electrical outlet on their front so you can still use the outlet for another device.