[SOLVED] Prebuilt Computer Crashing Whilst Gaming

Apr 16, 2020
Hello all,

My boyfriend's pre-built computer is crashing randomly when he games. I've gathered as much information as possible and am hoping y'all can be of more use than I.

"Whenever certain games get played ( It's incredibly selective for some reason) the computer will freak out. When playing the game after 10-30 minutes the screen will turn black, fans will start spinning at maximum rpm and nothing will shut down unless I force the pc to restart with holding down the power button. Even when restarting the pc occasionally boots up in a similar manner ( fans spinning wildly / Black screen ) Streams/ videos can be watched without issue and some games will cause no problems at all. I've noticed it when playing Planet Zoo / Spyro Reignited, but also with less graphically intensive games. For some games the deciding factor for the crash will be if im in a discord call or not. I've already checked if it was a temperature problem but both GPU as CPU will heat up but not to alarming values."

His two errors within his reliability history are 141, and 116

Problem signature Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent Code: 141 Parameter 1: ffff980e0a52f010 Parameter 2: fffff8077f7e09f0 Parameter 3: 0 Parameter 4: 1c44 OS version: 10_0_18362 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 256_1 OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033

Problem signature Problem Event Name: BlueScreen Code: 116 Parameter 1: ffff980e071bd010 Parameter 2: fffff8077f7e0818 Parameter 3: ffffffffc0000001 Parameter 4: 3 OS version: 10_0_18362 Service Pack: 0_0 Product: 256_1 OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.256.48 Locale ID: 1033

____

DxDiag: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1y9a50js24uzpjo/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

Reliability History: https://www.dropbox.com/s/occuhu2b8zraadz/relia.txt?dl=0

Solution
power supply is considered decent. not something most would recommend, but shouldn't be an issue here.

first i would make sure all system drivers and BIOS are the latest available from the ASUS motherboard product support page.
then run DDU and remove all traces of graphics software and settings, and reinstall the latest driver package from AMD.

if the issue still arises afterwards you would need to start troubleshooting hardware; RAM, disks, GPU, CPU, PSU, etc.
most pre-built systems come with very cheap unreliable power supplies. when playing games and the GPU is drawing more power it can easily lead to system instability.

being pre-built you usually cannot RMA any certain piece of hardware, you would have to return the entire system. another good reason to stay away from them.

post the complete system specs here.

Apr 16, 2020
2p5A4qs.png

PSU: Coolermaster B600 600 watt

power supply is considered decent. not something most would recommend, but shouldn't be an issue here.

first i would make sure all system drivers and BIOS are the latest available from the ASUS motherboard product support page.
then run DDU and remove all traces of graphics software and settings, and reinstall the latest driver package from AMD.

if the issue still arises afterwards you would need to start troubleshooting hardware; RAM, disks, GPU, CPU, PSU, etc.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just a minor addendum to what JBG's suggested
1 - specifically I would go with the latest Radeon Adrenalin WHQL drivers. The one later one might be fine, but isn't WHQL, and, well, I'd prefer to play it safe. That should be version 20.2.2 dated March 5 (I'm using 20.2.2 currently for my son's RX 5700 and know that version's trouble-free).

2 - while the PSU is I suppose usable, I still wouldn't entirely trust it. Cooler Master's website lists that their PSU warranties are 2-5 years, depending on the model. It also shows the B600 and B600v2 under their "Legacy Products" section. I couldn't find the warranty duration specifically for that model, but considering its 80 PLUS efficiency rating is not even at Bronze level, I'm guessing that it's at the bottom end, and likely only two years. At least it can produce most of its power (about 550W of it) on the 12V rail. I would suggest if you have another known good PSU to try, or a known high quality one you can borrow, to give it a shot.