Precision Boost 2 issues with Steam and Origin

jgbathlon_guy

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
Hey guys, got an interesting one here,

So I've been testing out my new Ryzen 7 2700 processor and it's great. Coming from Phenom II X4 it's like entering the Twilight Zone lol. When I first got it, I Prime95'd it for 12 hours and it passed like a champ, then I was playing around with single and double threaded Prime95 workloads, and it boosted with PB2 no problem. So I go off to play games for the weekend, everything going great. For whatever reason I played around with Prime95 single and double treads again, but this time no boost! I reset the BIOS, cleared any performance changes in Windows, etc but nothing. Then I wondered if I had to many background applications running and it might be throwing off PB2. I doubted that, since they were just the standard: Realtek Audio, Radeon Settings, Killer Networks, Sapphire Trixx, MSI Afterburner, Steam, Origin, etc. I knock a few off. Nothing. Then I knock off Steam. Nothing. Then I knock off Origin. BAM! PB2 boosts right up to 4.1GHz on the single thread! Yay! But whaaa? These programs were just "hanging out", they weren't doing anything! I tried this again, and again, and again. No matter which order or how many, it only mattered when Steam AND Origin were BOTH closed.

So my question is this: Why do Steam and Origin, these meek programs, kill PB2? Is anybody else having this problem? PB2 should not be doing this according to all the research I've done, it's stronger than this. I installed all the drivers, etc correctly, so that's not interfering. I do have a Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 board, but Gigabyte confirmed to Kyle Bennett at HardOCP that PB2 is enabled on X370: https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/04/20/amd_confirms_precision_boost_2_on_x370_motherboards and https://www.hardocp.com/news/2018/04/23/gigabyte_reports_precision_boost_2_working_on_x370.

I am using the stock Wraith Spire RGB cooler, and Kyle says this: "We are also using a very healthy XSPC custom cooling loop, so outside of using active cooling, we are likely showing the 2700X's Precision Boost 2 system in a way that is about as good as it gets." I fully expected my clocks and duration to not be stellar, but again, it's just Origin and Steam! Could really use some help here! Thanks guys!