Presenting online in these COVID19 times

Sep 15, 2020
Hello,
does anyone here have experience with online training and presenting? It would mean HW and SW for live presenting, live commentary and if possible, even live whiteboard, all simultaneously.
Thank you in advance

EDIT: I tackled this, the solution is below if there is anyone wondering something similar:

In PowerPoint, you can opt to launch the presentation in a window rather than full screen so that is our bigger part of the screen.

The other part will be the Microsoft Whiteboard app which will serve as a canvas. Further, if you hate writing and doodling with a mouse as well, I suggest connecting it with the same app on your phone or tablet and use your finger or a digital pen.

Stream this screen via Zoom, Skype or Teams and you are good to go.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
That is a very broad question/topic.

As a starting point google "Online training best practices checklist".

Limit the search timeframe to one year or less.

Then refine the search criteria as applicable to narrow down to your specific questions and concerns.

What resources do you presently have?

Share what you can without revealing any personally identifying information.

Sep 15, 2020
That is a very broad question/topic.

As a starting point google "Online training best practices checklist".

Limit the search timeframe to one year or less.

Then refine the search criteria as applicable to narrow down to your specific questions and concerns.

What resources do you presently have?

Share what you can without revealing any personally identifying information.
Hello, thanks for the reply.
The concrete base is the use of PowerPoint. We tried combining it with the Poll Everywhere plugin even when presenting before real audiance and it wasn't bad.
As the people are less willing to be actually present during our sessions, we are looking for a way to stream a ppt presentation with live verbal commentary and we are also looking for ways to make these presentations more interactive. We also thought it would be good to use a live whiteboard and are willing to invest in a piece of HW that would make this possible.
So here I am, looking for other people experience with lecturing remotely.

Hello, thanks for the reply.
The concrete base is the use of PowerPoint. We tried combining it with the Poll Everywhere plugin even when presenting before real audiance and it wasn't bad.
As the people are less willing to be actually present during our sessions, we are looking for a way to stream a ppt presentation with live verbal commentary and we are also looking for ways to make these presentations more interactive. We also thought it would be good to use a live whiteboard and are willing to invest in a piece of HW that would make this possible.
So here I am, looking for other people experience with lecturing remotely.

Have you heard of ZOOM? https://zoom.us/

Sep 15, 2020
Have you heard of ZOOM? https://zoom.us/
Yes I have. However, I thought I couldn't stream a ppt prezentation and a live whiteboard simultaneously while giving commentary.

If anyone's interested, my current not-yet-tested solution is to stream my screen where a bigger half of my screen would be the prezentation launched in a windowed mode and the other half would be a Ziteboard page.

I guess the same would be possible in ZOOM but I am not very familiar with the platform.

Thanks again!

Ralston18

Titan
Per @Nemesia - visit Zoom's website to learn more about the service and offered features.

And there are other similar services to be found.

Read the end user "how to" documenation. Learn what you can and cannot do and/or control.

List and prioritize your requirements. Be willing to make trade-offs.

Sign up for a free usage and with a few willing friends/co-workers to get a sense of how it all works and what you can and cannot do. Sort of trial and error on the fly when the outcomes are not critical.

Stream your screen, try dual monitors, etc. Work PowerPoint in exactly as you will be or intend to apply it. Likewise for Ziteboard.

As you learn and discover then start some controlled testing one operational requirement at at time.

Start small and gradually increase the test group and presentation process.

Most likely some things will work but others will require a paid subscription.

Reactions: Benjamin22044

Benjamin22044

Great
BANNED
Aug 17, 2020
Nowadays, YouTube is the best source to tackle with all these issues and I think you can easily get a video resolving all your issues.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i am using my old smart airliner slate to handle online presentations.

i used it for years in my classroom and it works the same online. it's a tablet that let's you control the whole pc. basically it is a portable smart board like you see in classrooms. overlay let's you write over anything you are looking at and many other features make it easy to work with. they don't make them anymore in the basic form but they are still sold on ebay and other places for about $40-50. connects with bluetooth and is easy to set-up.

Aug 27, 2020
Hello,
does anyone here have experience with online training and presenting? It would mean HW and SW for live presenting, live commentary and if possible, even live whiteboard, all simultaneously.
Thank you in advance

EDIT: I tackled this, the solution is below if there is anyone wondering something similar:

In PowerPoint, you can opt to launch the presentation in a window rather than full screen so that is our bigger part of the screen.

The other part will be the Microsoft Whiteboard app which will serve as a canvas. Further, if you hate writing and doodling with a mouse as well, I suggest connecting it with the same app on your phone or tablet and use your finger or a digital pen.

Stream this screen via Zoom, Skype or Teams and you are good to go.
You can use Zoom for training and presenting. For a live whiteboard check out padlet...its like posting post its virtually and everyone can comment