Question Pretty high spec computer - Doesn't run Premiere Pro very well - Please help me figure out why

Nov 3, 2019
I have a fairly expensive desktop pc that my brother put together for me. I'm not super into the technical aspects with hardware and stuff on computers and how well they're supposed to perform so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I feel like the pc should be able to run games more smoothly without the occasional lag spikes and low framerates.
It runs Assassin's Creed Odyssey at about 65, 70 if I'm lucky, fps (sometimes there are very short lag spikes as well). Is this reasonable and to be expected of my pc to be handling that kind of graphic intensive game with those results?

Aside from gaming I edit a lot using Premiere Pro CC and scrubbing through clips and stuff is very, very choppy. Do I need some different types of components that are better at those kinds of workloads or should my pc be able to handle it fine and there's just something wrong?

-----------------------

Computer specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Memory: Kingston 32GB (2x16GB)

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro

Storage: 512GB SSD and 2TB HDD

-----------------------

I appreciate any help and if there's additional information you need please ask.

Reactions: OmbcMax

OmbcMax

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Hey do you have the same issue in Adobe after effects? i have a bit similar pc's specs to yours and running in the same issues with adobe after effects...

It just feels so slow and choppy right? You would think your computer can handle it easy and if you search forums they have really bad specs and a fast workspace so weird...

Nov 3, 2019
Hey do you have the same issue in Adobe after effects? i have a bit similar pc's specs to yours and running in the same issues with adobe after effects...

It just feels so slow and choppy right? You would think your computer can handle it easy and if you search forums they have really bad specs and a fast workspace so weird...

Yes, I do actually experience the same problems with AE! It's just so incredibly choppy and slow - I really thought that I should have no performance issues at all after spending thousands on the pc. And now that I think about it I also think some of the tasks I do in Photoshop are much slower on this pc than on my old pc with significantly less impressive specs. I'm really at a loss as to why this is happening.

OmbcMax

Reputable
Sep 11, 2016
Yes exactly do you have any other pc's? for example i had an really old laptop that could run AE Actually really good... almost as if the AE was faster then Windows and now its reversed... Do you use adobe 2019? maybe you could try an older version?

i even called 2 hours with adobe but no results at all...

Also can you maybe look at settings > preferences > previews > GPU information. Then look if its using your GPU or not?