Pretty sure I'm missing something

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
Okay so I have been seeing lately a lot of people knocking on the AMD FX series chips. Personally I have the FX-8350, I like it a lot and it does what I need it to do but i do realize its not the greatest CPU out there for gaming.

The questions I have is why are people hating on the FX chips, why are they being called no practical in 2017, and what are the better versions of the FX chips for gaming?

This is the build I currently have. I'm quite proud of this rig because this is my second build from the ground up (didn't buy this in a kit).
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/morinookuni/saved/Jp7WZL

Any constructive criticism is welcomed, I plan on keeping this rig for a few years, upgrading each part as time goes on. According to everyone, i think i will upgrade the CPU next. Even though i just got the FX-8350 mid 2016

Solution
Pentiums, I3's, I5's, I7's all have their place. The king of the budget build currently is a Pentium G4560, never thought I'd hear a Pentium would be a great buy again.

The new R5's seem to be a Jack of all Trades, Master of None. NOT KNOCKING the R5 for you AMD diehards. It performs really well, decent price, and optimizations down the road will help it. Definitely a CPU to be thought of in any new gaming build.

manv

Reputable
Apr 17, 2015
Well the FX 8350 is an old chip for one thing.
Its not when you bought it that matters but when it was initially released.
It was released in 2012 and quite frankly that chip is outdated.
It has poor singlethreaded performance which in turn makes it the least favorite choice for gamers as most games rely on lower number of faster cores than more number of slower cores for crunching numbers.
I suggest if you are upgrading your CPU you upgrade your platform altogether and go for something like Ryzen or so.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I have no idea why you have that single stick of DDR3-1333 in there, why have 3 mechanical drives and no SSD, save the money and get windows 10 home.

I would highly recommend you switch to an i5 setup, it will only cost you about $70 more, but you can save $40 by going with 10 home.

lovely question.

The majority of people who build their own pc want to play games on it.
Intel Is in the lead back then and now when it comes to single core peformance, which matters alot when it comes to gaming.

That is why an i3 7300 out peform the strongest fx series.
Also the intel pentium g4560, which costs roughly 60 dolalrs, peform like 90% of the 7300, is equal or above the fx 8350.
Also the pentium draws less power.

next to that we have got the socket.
The fx series are pretty much dead after 8350(DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT THE FX 9*** series).
you can always upgrade from the pentium on, without replacing the motherbaord, you dont have that luxary with the fx series.

Keep in mind the ryzen 5 is really strong and good looking if u want to stick with amd.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Because they weren't especially good CPUs when they came out, and now they're like 5 years old. They have very poor single threaded performance, and are outperformed by modern Intel dual cores in many cases. They have no upgrade path, and AMD never released a new FX lineup (and won't be). They are power hungry (especially the ridiculous FX-9xxx CPUs).

Outside of budget builds for specific workloads that scale well across multiple threads (like video encoding I think), they haven't been a smart investment for some time. But people seem to keep buying them, probably being fooled by the high clock speeds/core counts with a low price tag.

You just answered your own question.

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

That confuses me in some aspects. When I was starting to work on this rig I did research on different CPUs to get and at that time I heard great things about the 8350. The only thing I can think of is I was reading threads from earlier years and didn't pay attention.

I literally just finished this build a few weeks ago, it really is disappointing that I made the major mistake of getting a outdated chip and board and because of how much time, effort, and money I put into it. Live and learn I suppose. Ryzen was just released the yesterday wasn't it?

When I start on my next build, which will most likely be a budget build too but more of a budget with $2000 than $1000 I had this time around, how much time is good for future proofing?
Like when I buy a CPU and it was made in 2016, will it stay updated for 2 years? 3 years? or do I need to get the biggest a best CPU and board and go with slightly older other things?

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

I had placed the RAM stick in there just to fill up slots, at the time I didn't realize that it would read the slowest speeds and I plan on taking it out. Just haven't done so yet....Getting a SSD is next on my list, I am buying the parts as I go. I buy 1 part every month (what I can afford to do). I do hear that I5s are better than AMDs and that AMD set ups are more for budget builds. I am conflicted if I want to stay AMD and go with the Ryzen or go intel. but if I go intel I was thinking I7, or would I5 be better?

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

I was fooled by the high clock speeds and core counts when I was buying this. I was looking at how many cores and how many GHz the CPU had when I was purchasing. I should have done more homework before buying it, at that time I thought it was a sound choice.

What kind of things do I need to look for when considering a CPU for gaming purposes only?
The gaming computers I build are for gaming only, no internet browsing, no music, no nothing except games.

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah I did answer my own question by saying ill upgrade the CPU next, but I didn't know why it wasn't a good CPU for gaming and why people didn't like it. and I had just bought it less than a year ago.
Like I told TJ Hooker, I didn't know what I was really looking at. I was looking at more cores and speed than I was how well each core performed.

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

I will probably just make a whole new rig when I decide to upgrade the CPU....while I paid $150 for the 8350, I didn't pay a whole lot for the mobo (maybe $100). I am hearing many good things about Intel being the champion of gaming, but their price tag hurts the wallet.

Isnt the I3 chips outdated nowadays with the I5s and I7s?
From what I am hearing about AMD chips vs Intel chips, is the Ryzen 5 strong enough to compete and great (not good) for gaming?....I don't really mind the future proofing bit for CPUs, I want to future proof my motherboard because I can replace the CPU easier than I can the motherboard because of RAM. The combination of mobo & Ram hurts me more than CPU price.

morinookuni123

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

I like this set up you did, I love the concept of I7 (rather than I5 or I3 for being outdated, outdated stuff is going to be more of a focus than what it was withj my current build),

the motherboard you picked, why did you pick that specific motherboard? what makes it better than the others?

Pentiums, I3's, I5's, I7's all have their place. The king of the budget build currently is a Pentium G4560, never thought I'd hear a Pentium would be a great buy again.

The new R5's seem to be a Jack of all Trades, Master of None. NOT KNOCKING the R5 for you AMD diehards. It performs really well, decent price, and optimizations down the road will help it. Definitely a CPU to be thought of in any new gaming build.

Solution

TBH I just randomly picked a mobo that would work. I'm sure someone else could pick the best bang for the buck one.