Prime95 crashing on Dell T3500 saying ILLEGAL SUMOUT..

ateeb123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello everyone,

So i was running prime95 for the first time on my DELL T3500, and it crashed giving me ILLEGAL SUMOUT error in the readme file. I get similar results when i stress test my PC with CPU-Z or intel BURN TEST, AIDA64 i.e. the program crashes, so far i have not gotten any BSODs. My Temps are under control they never go above 65-70*c. I have done a fresh installation of windows 10 and still the same error.

One thing that I would like to mention, a few days when i was replacing the processor in the socket after changing thermal paste, i managed to bent 3 pins, but i managed to straighten them and since there is no boot up issue, i guess the bent socket may no be the real culprit.

PS: everything else seems to be running fine, CS go , web browsing. AND i am using XEON W3680.

Is it the CPU that is failing overtime.
Any help/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Solution
Right now, i have 4x2GB sticks installed, but i am going to install 2 more 2GB ram sticks, 12GB total RAM with TRIPPLE CHANNEL configuration. Right now, after POST the system gives a WARNING, "non-optimal memory population", which is beacuse of bad RAM configuration in my system. But could it be causing, this issue?
[/quotemsg]
I would look in the Dell manual to see which slots should be poulated for 8GB Dual Channel.
On page 74 there are no 4 module dual channel setups shown.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3500_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Illegal sumout (IIRC) is basically instability. The result of a given calculation was unreadable/incorrect.

Are you overclocked? What memory are you running? While it might not be a full-blown hardware issue, if you're running stock speeds on the CPU and memory, it may well be indicative of a larger issue. If you are overclocked, it could just be a voltage issue.

ateeb123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
i have not overclocked my CPU, but i have just got BSOD saying IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL any idea what it is?.
PS: i have just disabled HyperThreading from BIOS, and surprisingly Prime95 has NOT crashed as of now, but with HT enabled it was crashing instantly.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The BSOD, in a nutshell means; "requested some data, didn't get it", IIRC.

Typically, caused by either a driver issue, or system memory. Interesting that disabling HT has had a positive impact.

With a fresh OS install, I'd be inclined to run MemTest86 to verify your system memory is not the underlying problem here.
https://www.memtest86.com/

ateeb123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
i have ran the memtest, and it gives positive results i.e. healthy memory. Btw prime95 is running in BLEND MODE for the past half an hour and it looks promising also it say test passed in the results.txt file.

ateeb123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015

Right now, i have 4x2GB sticks installed, but i am going to install 2 more 2GB ram sticks, 12GB total RAM with TRIPPLE CHANNEL configuration. Right now, after POST the system gives a WARNING, "non-optimal memory population", which is beacuse of bad RAM configuration in my system. But could it be causing, this issue?

ateeb123

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
GOOD NEWS, PRIME95 and INTEL BURN TEST successfully ran in SAFE MODE, without any sort crash and with positive results. SO what should i do from now on? I think its the drivers that are causing this issue?
By the way Dell T3500 has no drivers for windows 10, would it be okay if i use drivers of T3500 developed for W8?

Thanks.

[/quotemsg]
I would look in the Dell manual to see which slots should be poulated for 8GB Dual Channel.
On page 74 there are no 4 module dual channel setups shown.
https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-t3500_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Solution