Print Servers

Hawk

Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
One parallel port would be enough.

hawk

jt

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:00:09 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>One parallel port would be enough.
>
>hawk

A lot depends on the printer. An older, full featured printer will probably
work no problem. A new, multifunction, windows driver dependant printer
might not work, and some features probably wouldn't work. What type of
printer are you trying to put on the print server.

JT

Hawk

I want to use an Epson Stylus Photo 820 with the parallel port. D-Link
has a small print server that attaches to the port on the printer
directly. But neither D-link or Epson will verify compatibility. Each
says to contact the other.

Anyway, it sounds like no one has had very satisfactory experience
with print servers.

hawk

JT wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:00:09 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>>about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>>One parallel port would be enough.
>>
>>hawk
>

> A lot depends on the printer. An older, full featured printer will probably
> work no problem. A new, multifunction, windows driver dependant printer
> might not work, and some features probably wouldn't work. What type of
> printer are you trying to put on the print server.
>
> JT

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

hawk wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
> about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
> One parallel port would be enough.
>
> hawk

Last week, I bought Hawking's print server (2 usb + 1 parallel ports). It
worked, but the setup software and browser access are slow and clunky.

I learned that my Epson C84's ink level monitor doesn't work when the
printer is accessed through a print server. Judging from the long series
of posts about Epson ink-jets I just read, this is no longer important.

I returned the Hawking and bought a Gigafast. No browser access on this
one. Never could get it working, so it is also going back.

So far, my efforts have been a big waste of time. Maybe the higher-priced
print servers are better.

Roby

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 10:06:00 -0400, Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote:

>hawk wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
>> about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
>> One parallel port would be enough.
>>
>> hawk
>
>Last week, I bought Hawking's print server (2 usb + 1 parallel ports). It
>worked, but the setup software and browser access are slow and clunky.
>
>I learned that my Epson C84's ink level monitor doesn't work when the
>printer is accessed through a print server. Judging from the long series
>of posts about Epson ink-jets I just read, this is no longer important.
>
>I returned the Hawking and bought a Gigafast. No browser access on this
>one. Never could get it working, so it is also going back.
>
>So far, my efforts have been a big waste of time. Maybe the higher-priced
>print servers are better.

I recently bought a Netgear PS121 (only supports USB printers),
connected it to a HP Color LasrJet 1500L. It worked well from my
laptop via wireless; however I had problems printing from one PC
(caused the attention light to come on after 1 page) and I couldn't
even install the software on another.

So I bought the proper HP JetDirect print server and I had exactly the
same problems. Turned out the attention light problem was due to the
PC requesting Letter size paper when I was using A4. The PC that the
software wouldn't install was just screwed; I reinstalled XP and it
was a little better but I could only get it working by manually
configuring TCP/IP printing.

The HP print server was about 3 times the price of the Neatgear one
and does have a couple of advantages; however it isn't massively
better then the cheaper one.

I've been using a Linksys EPSX3 (3 parallel ports) for several years with no
problems. They have a new model out since then, but I don't know the
differences.

> hawk wrote:
>
> Does anyone have any experience with print servers? I am thinking
> about either a standalone or a router with a built in print server.
> One parallel port would be enough.
>
> hawk

jt

Your basic printing will probably work. Your special features, like ink
levels and cleaning probably won't.

JT.