Printer problems

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I just downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
Restarted computer as directed. Went into MS Word program
and tried to print a document. Got folowing message
window: Unable to communicate with the device. Please
start "MPService" from the Services applet in the Control
Panel. Then please right-click on the Status Monitor to
reconnect and try again.

Cannot believe how long it took me to find the "Services"
applet. (Finally found it under "Administrative Tools"!).
Found MP Services and restarted it. Can't find the Staus
Monitor to right click yet. Still can't get anything to
print yet.

ANY SUGGESTIONS????

You may need the hotfix if this is a Canon multifunction unit:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884020
www.coribright.com

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
> Restarted computer as directed. Went into MS Word program
> and tried to print a document. Got folowing message
> window: Unable to communicate with the device. Please
> start "MPService" from the Services applet in the Control
> Panel. Then please right-click on the Status Monitor to
> reconnect and try again.
>
> Cannot believe how long it took me to find the "Services"
> applet. (Finally found it under "Administrative Tools"!).
> Found MP Services and restarted it. Can't find the Staus
> Monitor to right click yet. Still can't get anything to
> print yet.
>
> ANY SUGGESTIONS????

"John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).
> Restarted computer as directed. Went into MS Word program
> and tried to print a document. Got folowing message
> window: Unable to communicate with the device. Please
> start "MPService" from the Services applet in the Control
> Panel. Then please right-click on the Status Monitor to
> reconnect and try again.
>
> Cannot believe how long it took me to find the "Services"
> applet. (Finally found it under "Administrative Tools"!).
> Found MP Services and restarted it. Can't find the Staus
> Monitor to right click yet. Still can't get anything to
> print yet.
>
> ANY SUGGESTIONS????

You need the hotfix from Microsoft for the Canon multifunction printers....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=17d997d2-5034-4bbb-b74d-ad8430a1f7c8&DisplayLang=en
www.coribright.com