Question Printer Recommendation: Ink Refills OK?

Aug 7, 2018
I need to buy a printer. The last two printers stopped working because of some kind of update that caused the printers to "discover" that I'd been refilling the ink cartridges. My priorities are:

1. Allows unrestricted use of refilled ink cartridges
  2. Low cost
  3. Black & White printing (almost no color; I don't care if it has color or not).

I'd prefer to buy at Newegg, if possible. I've asked this question before on another forum, and someone gave me an answer, but now I can't remember the forum or find the answer. I get the feeling there's a "favorite" for this kind of thing among people that have using refilling ink cartridges as a priority.

Aug 7, 2018
Anything arond $50.00 works. Less is better. All I'm doing is black & white word docs. Interested in this "exterior tank" thing. I got mad when they killed my printer with that "update" and went on strike and haven't purchased or used a printer in at least 5 years.

If not using color, laser printers are best cost per page. Most don't have any issues using re-manufactured cartridges outside of the quality issue where they may not be very good quality and may leak. I use an HP 2200 printer, it was used in a tax office for printing, and I've been using it for years, still going. I think I was on the same toner cartridge for 3 years, but we don't do a ton of printing at my house outside of school work.

Aug 7, 2018
I probably should have been more clear. I bought a bunch of refill ink. I have 3 printers that no longer work due to some update that prevented me from refilling the cartridges I have already, in the printers I have already. Rather than fooling around with trying to roll back drivers, etc... I'm willing to spend money on a cheap printer, as long as I can put ink in the cartridges without having the printer driver lock me out. Yes, I know the cartridges will eventually fail, and if that happens, fine. I'm not real interested in reinventing the wheel here. I had 3 working printers, and due to some kind of update, I now have zero working printers. But I have a bunch of cartridges that won't work, and a bunch of ink I could use to refill them. I read somewhere that the "lock-out" update was reversed, possibly due to a court case or something. I don't know. I don't care. I want a cheap printer that works, and when the cartridge runs low on ink, I want to be able to stick a syringe full of ink into the cartridge and fill it back up again.

Like I said, I asked this question once before on another forum, and the consensus opinion was that "printer x" was the solution. I thought I bookmarked it for when I really needed a printer, but now I can't find the book mark. And I really need a printer now.

TRENDING THREADS