goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Hi,

I am planning on buying a new multifonction printer. The problem is that they all use USB connections and I want to share it over my home network. I saw that there are USB to ethernet cable adapters. So I am thinking of buying one of those so I can connect the printer to my router and share it through the router. Will I have any problems? Do I need a print server? Any suggestions on multifonctions printers would be appreciated.

(Using WinXP, Win2000, Win98 and possibly Linux)
Thanks

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

M39shadow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
It really depends on how much functionality you want after it is connected. My guess is that a USB to ethernet cable will fail PNP detection anyway.

If you only want to share the print function, then MS print sharing can be achieved with just about any MF. If you want full functionality, you need a network ready MF connected through a print server. As far as I know, the only MF devices that support full functionality through a network are the HP Officejet 3200/3300 laserjets (monochrome)and the HP D series. All of these models have an LIO slot on the back that supports the M200 (ethernet)and M280 (wireless) print servers. These models will, print, scan, and fax over the network.

Other printers can be connected to HP JetDirect print servers and gain print and limited scanning functionality (using a web browser and a supplied java plug in). Hope this helps you.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Thanks, the problem with the models you suggested is that they are out of my price range. Buying an additional print server will also get me over budget. What I hate the most is that my router (di-704p) as an integrated print server but it is on a parallel port, so it is becoming useless.

I think I will have to live with reduced functionality. By the way what does PNP stands for?

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

pdm1881

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
The Canon i850 has great ratings and has parallel. If you don't want the slightly higher quality of the i950 (I do, USB only), it should hang off your current print server (assuming it works - I have no experience). 20% off this week at Microcenter (on the web, too). I have concluded that separate printer and scanner make more sense. Sharing a scanner over a network is clearly on the fringe - I only want to share the printer. Of course copies may not be so easy. [Reviews of scanners ought to note how well the copy button/software work.]