x_man

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Hello, A network of 5 pc's running windows Xp all single core, wanting to run 2 different brands of printers, printer connected now prints receipts and invoices through application, second printer would be for general use, with out updating pc's through a single pc or on network can I do this,

Solution
Buy a printer that has Ethernet (and/or wireless depending on which you want) capability built in, attach the printer, assign it a static IP address outside the DHCP server assignable range but within the network range in your router. Then from each computer install a network printer, either using the IP address or the add printer wizard. The computers should have network discovery turned on, which they probably already have turned on.

You can also just add a second printer to one of the machines and share it with the network if you can leave that machine on at all times that the printer is needed. Once the printer is installed, it can be installed as a shared network printer by the other machines if file and printer sharing is...

RealBeast

Titan
Buy a printer that has Ethernet (and/or wireless depending on which you want) capability built in, attach the printer, assign it a static IP address outside the DHCP server assignable range but within the network range in your router. Then from each computer install a network printer, either using the IP address or the add printer wizard. The computers should have network discovery turned on, which they probably already have turned on.

You can also just add a second printer to one of the machines and share it with the network if you can leave that machine on at all times that the printer is needed. Once the printer is installed, it can be installed as a shared network printer by the other machines if file and printer sharing is turned on. This might be a little cheaper since it has no network adapter built in, but is often less convenient.

Solution

x_man

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Thank You, move to second pc and setup share I believe will do it, some times you become focused and the simple becomes a challenge, I not only got the answer I was needing but a lot more, Thank You again