Printing from a PRN File

I received from a friend a printing file ( *.prn ) in a diskette.
I tried to print the file by going directly to my default printer but it did
not work.
How can I print from a *.prn file, please ?
Thanks for assistance.

In news:uknp5gYaFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Sdruws <sdruws@attglobal.net> typed:

> I received from a friend a printing file ( *.prn ) in a
> diskette.
> I tried to print the file by going directly to my default
> printer but
> it did not work.
> How can I print from a *.prn file, please ?
> Thanks for assistance.

Assuming that your printer is connected to a parallel Port, go to
Start | Run, and issue the following command:

copy /b a:filename.prn lpt1

However there's a big caveat here. What printer driver did your
friend use when he created the file.?Assuming that it was the
driver for his printer, and that his printer is different from
your printer, it's very likely that the result of printing this
file will be garbage. If your friend wants to give you files to
print this way, he should do so by using a driver for *your*
printer.

Please reply to the newsgroup

"Sdruws" <sdruws@attglobal.net> wrote:

>I received from a friend a printing file ( *.prn ) in a diskette.
>I tried to print the file by going directly to my default printer but it did
>not work.
>How can I print from a *.prn file, please ?

COPY /b {filename} LPT1
will work unless the printer is USB. In this case you cannot print the
file.

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233

I'm sure someone out there as a better way, but basically you have to create
a batch file similar to the one below.

copy %1 lpt1 /b

then create a shortcut to it and place it in your Send To folder

"Sdruws" <sdruws@attglobal.net> wrote in message
I received from a friend a printing file ( *.prn ) in a diskette.
I tried to print the file by going directly to my default printer but it did
not work.
How can I print from a *.prn file, please ?
Thanks for assistance.

I don't suppose there's any way to do something similar with a USB connected
printer?

In news:AZGoe.1219$4u6.1007@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net,
Raoul <noname@noname.net> typed:

> I don't suppose there's any way to do something similar with a
> USB
> connected printer?

Set the printer to Shared, and make note of the name that you
give it.

Then go to Start | Run, and enter the line

NET USE LPT1 \\name of your computer\shared name of printer

You will now be able to issue the command

COPY /b \path\filename.prn LPT1:

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> In news:uknp5gYaFHA.2580@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
> Sdruws <sdruws@attglobal.net> typed:
>
>> I received from a friend a printing file ( *.prn ) in a
>> diskette.
>> I tried to print the file by going directly to my default
>> printer but
>> it did not work.
>> How can I print from a *.prn file, please ?
>> Thanks for assistance.
>

> Assuming that your printer is connected to a parallel Port, go
> Start | Run, and issue the following command:
>
> copy /b a:filename.prn lpt1
>
> However there's a big caveat here. What printer driver did your
> friend use when he created the file.?Assuming that it was the
> driver for his printer, and that his printer is different from
> your printer, it's very likely that the result of printing this
> file will be garbage. If your friend wants to give you files to
> print this way, he should do so by using a driver for *your*
> printer.

I thank u all for interest but as my printer is connected to USB, I fear
there is no solution for the problem, which pse be so kind to confirm.

In news:OyL%23xRgaFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Sdruws <sdruws@attglobal.net> typed:

> I thank u all for interest but as my printer is connected to
> USB, I
> fear there is no solution for the problem, which pse be so kind
> confirm.

That's not correct. Read my recent message in this thread.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Sorry to take a bit of time from your patience but as far as I ustand, you
were refering to LPT1 in your thread and I only have USB in my system.

In news:OpLhnQhaFHA.3572@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Sdruws <sdruws@attglobal.net> typed:

> Sorry to take a bit of time from your patience but as far as I
> ustand, you were refering to LPT1 in your thread and I only
> have USB
> in my system.

Please quote the message you're referring to.

That was my first message. Here's the second one again:

Set the printer to Shared, and make note of the name that you
give it.

Then go to Start | Run, and enter the line

NET USE LPT1 \\name of your computer\shared name of printer

You will now be able to issue the command

COPY /b \path\filename.prn LPT1:

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Gomer

Sdruws wrote:
> I received from a friend a printing file ( *.prn ) in a diskette.
> I tried to print the file by going directly to my default printer but it did
> not work.
> How can I print from a *.prn file, please ?
> Thanks for assistance.

I use a program called "prnprint.exe" and can be found at
eon@cix.compulink.co.uk. It is free and I have used it for several
years and it works real easy.