Problem : 7800 GTX reporting 8x lanes

blashyrkh

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
Hello everyone. Seems that problems never end. :fou:
I wanted to ask you all something I noticed while messing around with CPU-Z. On the page that gives the details on the graphics card, it says that my 7800 GTX is running on x8 lanes of the PCI-e. WHy is that?? As you can see on my hardware page, I have an ASUS A8N-SLI whitch runs on x16 PCI-E and only if you run SLI it drops x8 for both VGA cards. Why am I not running on 16x? Am I missing any performance or is it not worth the hustle looking into the whole matter?

Thank you all guys. Cheers :hello:

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
i dont know why its running at 8X but performance wise ou wont loose anything. maybe a loss of 1% or something along that line.

G

From what I've read, your board comes with a 'ASUS EZ selector card' that sits between the PCIE slots. This is what sets your board for SLI or single card mode. To me it sounds like this is set to SLI mode which sets your slots to 8x mode for both.
I suggest trying to see what this is set to physically on the board, and if it is set to 'Dual Video Cards', you'll need to flip it over.

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI/e2068_a8n-sli.pdf

yuseaname

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I had this problem with me 7900gt once. Here are a few things you need to check: Install or Reinstall chipset drivers (Intel INF thingy if you have an intel chipset). What version of nvidia's drivers are you running on your respective os? If chipset drivers nor geforce drivers work, poke arouund in your bios by checking your NB voltage if you are oc'ed, a high voltage caused the driver to read my card as X1!!! :kaola: If all else fails, format + reinstall will fix it.

maximiza

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
i have an en7800gtx and an a8n sli deuxe board and the above suggestions sound right. do the easy stuff first to fix it before doing the more intensive stuff.