Question Problem- cooler MSI R9 270 HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2019
Hello people. I am new here so greetings to all. The problem I have are graphics fans. Namely, while I played csgo I noticed a huge fps drop. Restarted the computer and he worked normally up to 10 minutes until it started again to descend to 60-80 frames (otherwise it worked on the 160) so I had to put everything on low until I finished the game. Now I've made it clear that this is happening in other games and it's much faster. The first thing I did was look at the case and see that the coolers stopped working on the graphic card ... it was full of dust. I cleaned the graphic returned, reinstalled the drivers did the first aid, and again the same. Coolers do not even turn at 100% fan usage in the afterburner, they do not respond! Now I opened the whole graphics to replace the thermal paste and I noticed this .

View: https://imgur.com/lrn3eqH

View: https://imgur.com/FpJj5Wr

On the second picture you can see that this is next to the input of the cable for fans so maybe thats why they wont work? Is that dead fan chip connector on GPU? Again, note that the PC works normally. Now, did this happen while playing csgo without cooling or coolers stopped working before i even entered game??? Otherwise, windows is booting normally and PC works. In game like witcher 3 PC running okay without straining until of course it reaches over 80 ° when fps drops normally. Help please !!!

Jul 20, 2019
You are moderator?
Dont mind , but i was looking for proffesional answer not lazy answer tbh. Especially on forum such as Toms Hardware. Okay i will ask this, if someone more experienced can answer me.

1.Can I connect GPU fans to molex on PSU and how to do it
  1. Is there any splitter that comes from PSU and to put 4 pin connector of GPU fans inside that splitter?
  2. Is there any way to do that especially that i dont have MONEY for the NEW GPU and that im quite satisfied with this PC.
  3. I dont have on my MOBO case fan header only CPU header.

Hope i was clear because i need more techical help then just "you need new GPU".

Cheers.

USAFRet

Titan
OK...

The problem is that the circuitry that controls the fan is burnt. Hence, fans don't spin. Hence the graphics chip gets way too hot and throttles down.
Resulting in lower FPS as the thing reduces performance, in attempt to keep itself from actually catching on fire.

Can you run the fan from some other power connection? Maybe.
But why did that cook? Is it a fault of the GPU PCB? Or is it a fault of the fan?

And also, the GPU wants to talk to its own fan, based on its current temp. You'd be controlling from some other connection, and it won't be able to control the fan speed.

Jul 20, 2019
"The problem is that the circuitry that controls the fan is burnt. Hence, fans don't spin. Hence the graphics chip gets way too hot and throttles down.
Resulting in lower FPS as the thing reduces performance, in attempt to keep itself from actually catching on fire."

I Already knew that....

"Can you run the fan from some other power connection? Maybe.
But why did that cook? Is it a fault of the GPU PCB? Or is it a fault of the fan?"

Im asking myself same questions.

" And also, the GPU wants to talk to its own fan, based on its current temp. You'd be controlling from some other connection, and it won't be able to control the fan speed."

Still waiting for proper answer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You received a "proper answer" earlier.

If you look at this aftermarket GPU cooler, you'll see an adapter cable to power the fans, that would be connected directly to the PSU.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16835186097

If your GPU sustained that much damage, your best recourse would be to replace the entire device. Powering the cooling device via other means is going to be sub-optimal, at best.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Your "proper" answer is, that card is toast. If you are trying to find an answer you LIKE, I'd suggest Reddit. Plenty of people over there who are willing to tell you what you want to hear.

If you come here to ask questions, you're going to get the straight dope. Not some "hold me in your arms and pat me on the back" kind of answer.

The reason he asked if you can control the fans from another source was simply to to try and see if the fans themselves have failed, or if the card is not capable of powering and controller the fans. Totally different reasons why one is important or the other. Fans don't work powered elsewhere, then fans are bad and it's probably worth trying to get new ones or a whole new cooling assembly, EXCEPT that, on your card, there is clear evidence that the PCB and some portion of it's electronics are burnt out.

That means it's about 90% likely that your fans are fine, but your card is not. It happens. There doesn't NEED to be a reason why. Why did the 40 or so motherboards that failed in threads I worked on the last six months fail? Who knows? It doesn't really matter unless something else caused it an in your case that's very unlikely unless you have a really terrible power supply or were careless with your hardware.

Jul 20, 2019
Well i thought so... You pointed me to site where is 60 dollars full cooling system and my card in your country worth under that (in my country card r9 270 worth more then 70 dollars). I asked if its possible to still use MSI factory fans from other external source, PSU , molex and etc. and i didnt get answer HOW or CAN i do it.
I DO not look for chit chat forums i look for straight techician answers. I guess i was wrong signing at Toms Hardware or wrong people answered my post.

USAFRet

Titan
The original problem still remains...Why did that location on the GPU PCB smoke like that?
What else might be wrong with the GPU?

Using some other source to power a fan on the GPU might maybe be doable.
Discover the cable leading to the fan, and adapt some other power source to it.

Will that actually fix it? Completely unknown.
Will the GPU run right? Again, completely unknown.

Jul 20, 2019
Im feeling like some bots answering my posts not humans.
BTW im typing this from PC that im using and my card is working alright. Temperature is on IDLE 49 degrees because its summer here... Anyways nevermind.

Jul 20, 2019
lol? LOL? Im looking for answer how to do it with questions above . Do i need to repeat those questions? Actually i had answer but i just tested your knowledge.
Im writing this if anyone need this in future.

There is answer and this is it: IF graphics connector wont work or it is purged.
You do this with molex;

When you put 12v on 12v (yellow on yellow) and ground on the ground (black-black) you will have 100 times the number of rotations on the graphics and this will be like crazy.
if you put 12v on 5v (red on molex) and black-black, it will turn slow
Ideal is 12v on yellow and black in red (5v), in this way you get 7v, which is neither too loud nor too slow fan.
(to warn you - do it only with two wires from the fan-black and yellow put in the molex, in the mentioned holes in the molex, just two of them - only two)
Then carefully isolate it with a tape, so as not to cause a fire.

View: https://imgur.com/4zFcuaL

1 Ground - Black
2 12 V - Yellow
3 RPM - Green
4 Control - Blue

That was answer i was looking for but you didnt had it.
I hope you learned something new today from me.

USAFRet

Titan
Oh I see....
You wanted your exact same solution, with "fix it" parts you already had but did not tell us, rambling on about reduced performance in your CSGO, with a GPU that was known to be 'only the fan connection is busted'.

Instead, you present us with a random GPU with a big burnt spot, and ask "How do I fix it?"

Gotcha.
Have a nice life.

Jul 20, 2019
So you have balls to tell me that if i told you my parts that you would explain to me how to do it? Sorry but i wont belive in that crap. And did i really only asked "how do i fix it" or i was specific? IDK are you blind or did you even read my questions above. I got answer ,or i even learned from other source, not from you or toms hardware and i had faith in this forum. Now i realise that this is forum that people only care about high end graphics cards and similar. Or you all have money to just buy new card and dont even care about fixing something when some part is in bad condition.

Jul 20, 2019
"Discover the cable leading to the fan, and adapt some other power source to it. "

Your shortened version of explanation makes me search elsewhere.
I didnt get solution here. Wait WHAT if some newbie who doesnt know ** and u think he will understand what did you said with just "apply some power to it".
No details no nothing.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Wrong people are moderators here. Lack of Knowledge.

And you have had enough abusing people here just trying to help you. Clearly you have your own ideas, meanwhile you have had literally hundreds of years of experience, from people who work in the highest echelons of the IT world, that you've done nothing but abuse. That is now over.

Status
Not open for further replies.