Question Problem gpu rx 580 no signal

Oct 30, 2022
Hi everyone, my name is Gabriel, I'm Italian and I'm looking for advice in different forums. I have a pc for about 2 years, assembled with new parts. For about 1 week my pc started having problems. The mouse and keyboard could no longer wake the computer when it went to standby (or sleep mode?). I play very few games, lately I haven't played anything and I've only used the pc for Photoshop . 3 days ago I open GTA V and my monitor turns off saying no signal, but the pc stays on. The next day I turn on the computer and find that Radeon Software is obsolete and needs to be updated. Uninstall the drivers with DDU and download the new drivers, then I start gta but the screen turns off, but this time when I restart the pc the screen stays black. The screen remains black but the PC turns on. The gpu fans are not spinning.

What I tried: Use 1 only stick ram, reset bios, use other hdmi cables and other monitors. Soon I will do a test with another gpu.
Other card problems I have seen in these 2 years: sometimes I noticed that the gpu kept working at 100% after I stopped playing. Occasionally I randomly received a strange Windows warning about some PCIe error (sorry I don't know much about it)
I apologize for any grammatical errors and thank you in advance for the answers.

Oct 30, 2022
Until this happens, there's nothing else to do, since what you describe, is most likely dead GPU.

Btw, full system specs is? Since when you have iGPU, you could test with that, to make sure the rest of the PC works.
Hi Aeacus, thanks for answering me. unfortunately I don't have an IGPU. i hope i don't scare anyone but this is my build: i3 9100f, h310h m 2.0, ram corsair 2x8gb, evga 450w, ssd 500gb.

Oct 30, 2022
Which model? How old it is? And was it bought new or used/refurbished?

I'm interested, why would you think that your specs would scare anyone? :D
Evga 450 br 80+ I bought it in 2020 new, so 2 years.

Some friends were shocked when I told them that I bought a 4c / 4t processor and a "simple" motherboard.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Some friends were shocked when I told them that I bought a 4c / 4t processor and a "simple" motherboard.

Your MoBo is yes, low end. Essentially barebones with little, if any features. H310 chipset is bottom of the barrel in Intel 300-series chipset lineup.

CPU, in the other hand, is good. Sure, it's i3 with 4c/4t but so is my CPU. I have i5-6600K and despite the "lack" of cores/threads, it does everything i require, and very well.
Though, CPU being F-suffix means that it doesn't have iGPU. A feature that is viable for me. And while i don't use iGPU on daily basis, in an event i need to use iGPU (e.g my dedicated GPU produces a fault), iGPU is godsend. :)

Evga 450 br 80+ I bought it in 2020 new, so 2 years.

EVGA BR is low quality PSU and it is possible that PSU acted up, and thus fried your GPU.

Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. Due to that, and regardless hardware, never cheap out on PSU.

Here, i, personally, would be very wary of using the PSU to test with 2nd GPU, since IF the PSU did kill your GPU, it can kill 2nd GPU too.
Now, new PSU alone may not fix the issue you have, since when PSU blows up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. With this, your MoBo could be toast as well.

Btw, this:
The mouse and keyboard could no longer wake the computer when it went to standby (or sleep mode?).
is PSU issue. Low quality PSUs often have trouble waking PC up from sleep, since either those aren't compatible with CPU higher sleep states (C6, C7), or have sporadic compatibility (works one day, doesn't work another day).

-----

Here's what i'd do, if i'd have your PC to troubleshoot:
  1. Take 2nd known to work and good quality PSU, e.g Seasonic Focus+ series. Hook it up and look if PC boots up.
  2. If not, i'd disassemble PC completely and using 2nd, compatible PC, test each and every component individually, to see if they work. Components to test are: CPU, MoBo, RAM and GPU.

If you do not have 2nd, compatible PC, haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them to diagnose and repair the issue.
But as it stands right now, one or all of the following can be toast: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU.

So, besides buying new PSU, you'll also need to replace the component(s) your cheap PSU fried.

Reactions: Gabbit1

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What gpu?

In your bios should be a power setting, you'll want to set that so that the pc will go into sleep states, but not into sleep lower than C3 or C4, which is deep sleep. It's usually labeled as S1 or S3, it changes with and where depending on different bios.

The gpu and motherboard are seperate entities. So it's entirely possible with some psus to have the gpu shut down from lack of power, but the rest of the pc continues working. That can also happen with a bad gpu, and lack of power can and will create bluescreens, including pcie errors, but so can a bad gpu.

Personally I'd start with the psu, as said earlier, that 450w BR is way low on the totum pole, a solid and reliable 550w or 650w (depending on the gpu needs) is generally recommended.

Oct 30, 2022
Your MoBo is yes, low end. Essentially barebones with little, if any features. H310 chipset is bottom of the barrel in Intel 300-series chipset lineup.

CPU, in the other hand, is good. Sure, it's i3 with 4c/4t but so is my CPU. I have i5-6600K and despite the "lack" of cores/threads, it does everything i require, and very well.
Though, CPU being F-suffix means that it doesn't have iGPU. A feature that is viable for me. And while i don't use iGPU on daily basis, in an event i need to use iGPU (e.g my dedicated GPU produces a fault), iGPU is godsend. :)

EVGA BR is low quality PSU and it is possible that PSU acted up, and thus fried your GPU.

Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. Due to that, and regardless hardware, never cheap out on PSU.

Here, i, personally, would be very wary of using the PSU to test with 2nd GPU, since IF the PSU did kill your GPU, it can kill 2nd GPU too.
Now, new PSU alone may not fix the issue you have, since when PSU blows up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. With this, your MoBo could be toast as well.

Btw, this:

is PSU issue. Low quality PSUs often have trouble waking PC up from sleep, since either those aren't compatible with CPU higher sleep states (C6, C7), or have sporadic compatibility (works one day, doesn't work another day).

-----

Here's what i'd do, if i'd have your PC to troubleshoot:
  1. Take 2nd known to work and good quality PSU, e.g Seasonic Focus+ series. Hook it up and look if PC boots up.
  2. If not, i'd disassemble PC completely and using 2nd, compatible PC, test each and every component individually, to see if they work. Components to test are: CPU, MoBo, RAM and GPU.
If you do not have 2nd, compatible PC, haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them to diagnose and repair the issue.
But as it stands right now, one or all of the following can be toast: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU.

So, besides buying new PSU, you'll also need to replace the component(s) your cheap PSU fried.

You have been very helpful, i immediately went to a repair shop after this problem and they told me to change the gpu (I had also asked them if they could control the gpu but according to them 100% it is the gpu)
Also they told me to use any gpu to see if the black screen resolves. They advised me to use an old gpu.
So, I'll do the test with the new gpu, if the black screen fixes then it's a power supply problem right?
If it doesn't resolve then i'll go to a repair shop.
I don't have enough money for a good power supply at the moment, but I think it will be my next purchase.
In any case, are there any chances that the gpu will work with a new power supply? Or that it can be repaired?
Thanks for the reply, you were very clear.

Oct 30, 2022
What gpu?

In your bios should be a power setting, you'll want to set that so that the pc will go into sleep states, but not into sleep lower than C3 or C4, which is deep sleep. It's usually labeled as S1 or S3, it changes with and where depending on different bios.

The gpu and motherboard are seperate entities. So it's entirely possible with some psus to have the gpu shut down from lack of power, but the rest of the pc continues working. That can also happen with a bad gpu, and lack of power can and will create bluescreens, including pcie errors, but so can a bad gpu.

Personally I'd start with the psu, as said earlier, that 450w BR is way low on the totum pole, a solid and reliable 550w or 650w (depending on the gpu needs) is generally recommended.
Hi Karadjgne, Yes, I really think a new power supply is needed. I will try this with the new gpu (now the screen is black) and if this test don't work then i will ask to make a diagnosis in a repair shop as Aeacus advised me.
The gpu that broke is an Rx 580.
Thanks for answering me Karadjgne.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In any case, are there any chances that the gpu will work with a new power supply?

Is there a chance? Always. Though, issue is how probable it is.
Most of the times, chances are slim to none, that only PSU died and GPU is fine. Still, there have been cases where PSU dies but doesn't take any hardware with it (e.g good/great quality PSUs are such, where it is very rare that they kill other hardware).

i immediately went to a repair shop after this problem and they told me to change the gpu (I had also asked them if they could control the gpu but according to them 100% it is the gpu)

Now, i don't know what folks in the repair shop did, to conclude it was 100% GPU issue. If they took out your RX 580, replaced it with any other GPU of their own, and PC booted up, then yes, one can say that your RX 580 is toast. Additional testing would require putting your RX 580 into 2nd PC and look if it works in 2nd PC. If the issue is with GPU, it won't work.

Also they told me to use any gpu to see if the black screen resolves. They advised me to use an old gpu.

This indicates that they didn't test your PC/GPU properly, if any at all. Else-ways, there won't be any need to suggest the same troubleshooting step for you.

Or that it can be repaired?

I'd say: No.

Well, technically: Yes.

Only one who can repair blown GPU, is the GPU manufacturer. XFX, Asus, MSI, whoever name is on the GPU.
To get GPU repaired, you need to contact GPU manufacturer and ask them if they are willing to repair the GPU for you. Where you have to pay for shipping and all the repairs (they won't do it for free, especially when warranty is expired). Often times, shipping cost and repair cost exceeds the price of a new GPU, making it pointless and waste of money, to send in GPU to manufacturer for repairs. That is, IF the manufacturer is even willing to take the repair job.

Now, if your GPU would have warranty left, things would be easier, since you can make warranty claim and RMA your GPU. However, do note that GPU manufacturer will find out how GPU died and if the reason was due to your inferior PSU, then they will not replace the GPU under warranty. Instead they send the broken GPU back to you, where you need to pay shipping costs.

So, all-in-all, is it worth to repair GPU (or any PC hardware in that matter) by sending it in to manufacturer? No. Spent time and money often exceeds the value of a new GPU.

Edit:
Only PC hardware, that can be viable for manufacturer repair, is MoBo. And that too when the issue with MoBo isn't severe (e.g killed by PSU), but lighter one. E.g bent CPU socket pins.

Some time ago, GamersNexus had issue with Gigabyte MoBo they ordered and thanks to the great journalism Steve made, it turned out that Gigabyte would've repaired the ~$500 MoBo for ~$100 (excluding shipping). So, in that sense, repair is viable since new MoBo would cost more than repairs.

1st video in the saga:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnXsmXzphI

2nd video, at 09:44 comes the piece where Gigabyte rep said that repair is 100 bucks:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL-eB_Bv5Ik

3rd video in the saga:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wECJJveifw

And 4th one, the conclusion:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1R4wbuXFII

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabbit1
Oct 30, 2022
Now, i don't know what folks in the repair shop did, to conclude it was 100% GPU issue. If they took out your RX 580, replaced it with any other GPU of their own, and PC booted up, then yes, one can say that your RX 580 is toast. Additional testing would require putting your RX 580 into 2nd PC and look if it works in 2nd PC. If the issue is with GPU, it won't work.

This indicates that they didn't test your PC/GPU properly, if any at all. Else-ways, there won't be any need to suggest the same troubleshooting step for you.
This was my mistake, I explained myself badly. I went to this rapair shop without the pc. I first asked him what the problem could be, and then I asked him if the next day he could test my gpu, he told me it would be useless because it is 100% gpu, only after insisting he told me to do a test with a new gpu on my own.
In any case i will post in the forum as soon as I have news, thank you very much for the replies :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This was my mistake, I explained myself badly.
No, not really.
I first asked him what the problem could be, and then I asked him if the next day he could test my gpu, he told me it would be useless because it is 100% gpu
That was the mistakes, yours by believing that repairman and the repairmans by saying '100%' without having first tested the pc.

You have a pretty lousy psu. That's not in question or up for debate. The Rx580 has a pretty hefty power draw. The Only way to be sure of anything is to test your pc, with another Rx580 or any other gpu that pulls the same or more power. Just using another gpu is no guarantee.

The psu might easily power a GT710, a whopping 20w it'll pull directly from a 75w capable pcie slot, and have 0 issues. That would indicate your gpu is bad. BUT. Plug in a higher draw card and the issues get worse or more frequent. Indicates a bad psu.

The pc might still have issues with the GT710, indicating a bad psu.

Plug in a higher draw card and issues stop. Psu ok, for what it is, but means your Rx580 is bunk.

Where in any of that do you see 100% its the gpu? I see it as 50/50 at least.

The only things I see that're 100% are the BS the repairman fed you, and the repairman 100% wanting to charge you for a new gpu and the shop fee to test/install it.

Oct 30, 2022
No, not really.

That was the mistakes, yours by believing that repairman and the repairmans by saying '100%' without having first tested the pc.

You have a pretty lousy psu. That's not in question or up for debate. The Rx580 has a pretty hefty power draw. The Only way to be sure of anything is to test your pc, with another Rx580 or any other gpu that pulls the same or more power. Just using another gpu is no guarantee.

The psu might easily power a GT710, a whopping 20w it'll pull directly from a 75w capable pcie slot, and have 0 issues. That would indicate your gpu is bad. BUT. Plug in a higher draw card and the issues get worse or more frequent. Indicates a bad psu.

Plug in a higher draw card and issues stop. Psu ok, for what it is, but means your Rx580 is bunk.

The only things I see that're 100% are the BS the repairman fed you, and the repairman 100% wanting to charge you for a new gpu and the shop fee to test/install it.
having already suspicious about the gpu, i trusted the repairman. I don't own any other gpu like the rx 580, so I plan to go to a repair shop (maybe another one). thank you very much for your reply Karadjgne

Oct 30, 2022
No, not really.

as the repairman advised me I bought a gpu to do a test. the monitor turned on . Now I know that MoBo, cpu, Ram, they are ok. The gpu I got is not as powerful as the rx580, so I can't know if it's really a psu problem. The next thing I will do is go to a rapair shop, at least for now I have a pc.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
True.
I'd advise getting the psu, installed and tested with your Rx580 Before the return/refund expires on the new gpu.

I only say that because it's entirely possible your current psu has degraded to the point where instead of its rated 450w on the 12v rail, it's putting out far less, like 300w and every now and then the Rx580 will have a wattage spike, and put the pc to 301w, at which point something has to give.

That's why I advised a same or higher power draw, to see if the issues are recreated or not. Unfortunately that's the only general way to do it as you'll not have access to a load tester, those run $5000+, and are specialized equipment that most repair shops don't bother acquiring, but professional reviewers will.

It's a rough place to be in, because right now the pc works, but there's no telling if that will last or if there's no actual need to replace the psu. It's not easy to justify spending good money on a better piece of equipment, when the old one seems to be working just fine.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's not easy to justify spending good money on a better piece of equipment, when the old one seems to be working just fine.

On the contrary, a good chance that the sub-par PSU might go belly up and take everything it is connected to with it, is reason alone to replace it with better unit. Since when it does happen, the cost of replacing PSU and all other hardware PSU killed, will be far higher than buying a good quality PSU right now.

Idea isn't to wait for a failure and then pay considerably more. Idea is to prevent failure before it happens, by replacing it.
Or in other words: Better safe than sorry.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
True too.
It's the 'might' that's in question. I might get hit by a car tomorrow, that'd be bad in many ways, lead to a lifetime in a wheelchair, permanently paralyzed or even dead. Doesn't necessarily mean I should quit my job and never leave the house again. Just my luck if I did, the house 'might' get hit by a tornado since it's located at the tip of Tornado Alley.

It's a possibility that Any psu can 'might' destroy anything or even everything, that's in the nature of electricity and power. It's just with psus, the lower the quality, the higher the chances of 'might'.

Would I advise trading up to a much better unit? Always. Is it a necessity? Eh, debatable. It's not a Circle or TR2 or green label CX or cheapo Chinese knockoff Gold Power +.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It's the 'might' that's in question. I might get hit by a car tomorrow, that'd be bad in many ways, lead to a lifetime in a wheelchair, permanently paralyzed or even dead. Doesn't necessarily mean I should quit my job and never leave the house again. Just my luck if I did, the house 'might' get hit by a tornado since it's located at the tip of Tornado Alley.

On your analogy, if you cross the road at the marked crossing with traffic lights, you getting ran over is very unlikely (= great quality PSU);
if you cross the road at marked crossing, likelihood decreases but you're still quite safe (= good quality PSU);
cross the road at any other point, except crosswalk, chances to get hit are good (= mediocre quality PSU);
cross the highway (6, 8 lane) on foot, it would be damn hard to miss cars (= low quality PSU);
and if you were to cross the busy highway, in the middle of heavy fog/whiteout, it be a miracle if you'd survive (= crap quality PSU).

I think you get my point.
Likelihood of something happening isn't down only by luck, but also circumstances and with PSUs, build quality.
If crap quality PSUs would have the same failure rate and hardware killing chance, as good/great quality PSUs do, no-one would ever pay double, triple or quadruple price for good/great quality PSU. Everyone would be buying no-name Chinese crap. But since this isn't the case and PSU build quality matters, and a lot, there is a great market for good PSUs.

Is it a necessity? Eh, debatable. It's not a Circle or TR2 or green label CX or cheapo Chinese knockoff Gold Power +.

While OP doesn't have no-name crap as a PSU, the EVGA BR unit doesn't excel with quality per se either. And since there is a possibility that PSU killed the GPU, which is more likely than GPU dying on it's own, gives me a good reason to replace the PSU.

Since, for how long would anyone continue on and see what happens next? When 2nd GPU dies, is it then time to replace the PSU? Or when MoBo dies, perhaps then PSU is replaced?
Point is, replacing PSU now would cost the least amount of money, rather than crossing your fingers and hoping that questionable PSU doesn't kill any other hardware in the future.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Lol. Crossing the street. I guess I'm a little biased there, having lived in Jeddah, where traffic lights are like rainbows, something to gawk at as you drive past, and crossing Any street, on foot, at any time of the day, anywhere close to downtown, say a prayer first, it might be your last.

But yes, I totally get where you are coming from, the BR is a pretty lousy psu, along the lines of the Corsair VS, or a little bit worse off than a CX. But that means it's not terrible either. Especially being a 450w unit. On a scale of 1-5 with 1 being excellent and 5 being fire-hazard, it's a solid 4. It's at least DC-DC afaict. It's supposedly an older, revamped SuperFlower platform subbed out to RSY.

So yeah, pretty lousy, but I don't see it as quite the pc killer.

Oct 30, 2022
Hello everyone, after having tested with an old gpu (8400 gs) the pc turned on. So my gpu doesn't seem to work. I took the computer to 2 other shops and they told me they don't know where the problem is. The last shop advised me to go to a friend of his who repairs gpus. I went to this Repairshop and he said it is probably the video card that will need to be repaired, (Reballing, here by me they call "rigenerazione", in English Regeneration, and also he said that this repair method is the only one that works, obviously it depends on the case of each broken gpu). He thinks it's the gpu but will diagnose the whole computer. If the gpu can be repaired it helps me with the price and makes me pay a total of 100$, if it cannot be repaired only 50$ .

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If the gpu can be repaired it helps me with the price and makes me pay a total of 100$, if it cannot be repaired only 50$ .

Well, you can take that chance if you like, but since it's 3rd party repair job, there is 0 warranty with it and GPU may work 1, 2 days and then die again. There is no telling how long the GPU will last after the 3rd party repair job. Nor is there any guarantee that GPU is able to work at it's fullest potential.

I, personally, would put the 100 bucks towards new GPU and PSU.

Reactions: DRagor