Problem install windows 7

suki9191

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought a new Dos acer laptop and planned to install win 7 myself. Once I finish installed the OS, and ran the loaders, I got an error message saying that "Unsupported partition table". I assume that my board cannot support MBR disk because after I convert my hard drive to MBR I got this message " windows cannot be install on this disk. the system require EFI partition. can someone help me...
and another thing, what will happen when you run MBR disk with installed win7 with this EFI or UEFI system???

Solution
I don't have any UEFI/EFI motherboards, so I can't give you a definitive answer. I've never heard of an EFI partition and I've never noticed that as a choice when creating partitions. I assumed that all EUFI motherboards could read both MBR and GPT partitions.
This sounds backwards. Normally windows can use and boot to any MBR disk. On the other hand, win7 can't boot to a GPT disk unless you have an EUFI motherboard and the 64 bit version of windows.

Q. Can Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008 read, write, and boot from GPT disks?

A. Yes, all versions can use GPT partitioned disks for data. Booting is only supported for 64-bit editions on UEFI-based systems.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/gg463525.aspx

During the windows install you'll be given a chance to partition the disk (under advanced options). Delete all partitions and create a new MBR partition (unless your drive is larger than 2TB, then you need GPT). Now continue installation and select the new partition to put windows on.

suki9191

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012

yes that it, i've format the hard disk and want to create the new MBR partion but windows by default will create it as EFI partion. I don't want this partion because windows loader can't works on this partion. Even I try to create MBR partion using "diskpart" in command prompt (by pressing shift+F10) during windows installation the system still cannot accept it. Beside that, windows will notice the partion is MBR and will display this message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks".

The only solution is I install windows and crack it on the other laptop then put it back. The rest is just install it driver and my laptop works like a champ. But I wonder is there will be a problem by doing this and other method to bypas the EFI system so that windows loader can works. Anyway thanks for response.

Regards

I don't have any UEFI/EFI motherboards, so I can't give you a definitive answer. I've never heard of an EFI partition and I've never noticed that as a choice when creating partitions. I assumed that all EUFI motherboards could read both MBR and GPT partitions.

Solution