Question problem replacing my failing hdd

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Hi. Recently I noticed my hdd starting to fail, multiple bsods and very slow at times. I bought a new hdd with the intent of making a clean re-install. I plugged my new hdd and unplugged the old one, configured the BIOS to start with the bootable media. Setup seems to run fine until the point where I have to choose the drive to install windows on. I hit a dead end at that stage. I get a warning sign:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I try to create a new partition anyway and get this message:

"We couldn't create a new partition [Error:0x80042558]"

So I cancel the installation and come back to the BIOS to inspect the disk's controller. The SATA controller seems to be enabled. I have linked pictures of my BIOS and of the HDD im trying to install windows on, as well as the warning and error messages I get when trying to select the new drive.

Sorry if I havent provided any useful information, and will eagerly do so if necessary. Thanks for your time.

View: https://imgur.com/a/DBsKKW5

Hi. Recently I noticed my hdd starting to fail, multiple bsods and very slow at times. I bought a new hdd with the intent of making a clean re-install. I plugged my new hdd and unplugged the old one, configured the BIOS to start with the bootable media. Setup seems to run fine until the point where I have to choose the drive to install windows on. I hit a dead end at that stage. I get a warning sign:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

I try to create a new partition anyway and get this message:

"We couldn't create a new partition [Error:0x80042558]"

So I cancel the installation and come back to the BIOS to inspect the disk's controller. The SATA controller seems to be enabled. I have linked pictures of my BIOS and of the HDD im trying to install windows on, as well as the warning and error messages I get when trying to select the new drive.

Sorry if I havent provided any useful information, and will eagerly do so if necessary. Thanks for your time.

View: https://imgur.com/a/DBsKKW5
During first stages of setup, delete all existing partitions on disk and let windows partition it as needed.

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
During first stages of setup, delete all existing partitions on disk and let windows partition it as needed.
Sorry, i dont fully understand what you mean. The disk has no partitions to begin with. It's brand new. Im trying to install windows on it but it wont let me. Could you elaborate further? Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS