Question Problem with dual booting

Astta

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Hi, I'ven using Windows 10 and Linux in a dual boot for 2 months, but yesterday when I turned on my pc, it just directly booted to windows 10, and the "menu" that always appeared that let me chose which OS I wanted to use isn't there anymore.
also, i don't have access to the bios, when I try to enter the screen, it just turns black.
after searching a way to fix it, I realized that it could be the fast boot option that I deactivated but the problem persists.
later, I managed to boot to Linux via command but after that, it does the same just that now I can only use Linux, and boots to Linux every time I turn on the pc.
If anyone knows what happened or had the same problem, please let me know a way to fix it, thanks :)

Astta

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Advise computer specs including motherboad and/or brand name and model

The fact you are having an issue with the BIOS points to a CMOS or hardware problem. I would first try resetting the CMOS.
I tried removing the lithium battery to reset CMOS and nothing happened
these are my specs:
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g (3.7 GHz)
GPU: Radeon RX 570 8gb oc
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport Ddr4 2666 2x4gb
PSU: Thermaltake Smart series 500W 80+ white
Mobo: B450M HDV R4.0 from asrock

Astta

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
You might want to try booting with one stick of RAM (if it doesn't work try booting with the other stick. Also, check this video on how to clear your CMOS/BIOS.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbyB-drELXE
well, i have already tried all the things that could've of help in the video and didn't work, later I tried using linux boot repair and ended with a PC that "boots" to a black screen with no access to the BIOS... is there anyway to format all of the PC? that was my last resort but I'm studying computer science and I can't do without a PC :/

Astta

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Try booting to the onetime boot menu (usually f12 as your PC boots) and see if you get a choice to boot Windows. If not you can try the Recovery Environment https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10 or just do a clean install of Windows 10 https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
f1, f2... f12 doesn't work, delete and esc also don't work, can't access the startup repair (remains black no matter what i do, the monitor isn't the problem) and the pc doesn't recognize my USB flash with windows 10 made with the windows 10 installation tool
sigh...

Astta

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
Well, it's obviously a hardware problem. Disconnect all drives and see if you get a bios/flash screen. If not, it's likely a CPU or motherborad.
tried disconnecting all my drives, the ssd(windows) and the hdd (linux) and booting with the USB, didn't work, tried connecting the monitor to the integrated graphics card, nop
tried with my old monitor, also nop
also tested with 1 stick of ram and also changing them from left to right and right to left

Astta

Prominent
Jul 10, 2019
It could be the power supply, Motherboard or CPU; since it seemed it retained partial functionality before it failed, I would look at the PSU first.
that's weird, all of the pc components are less than a year old and the psu is a thermaltake 80+ with 5 years of guarantee, I'll see what can I do