[SOLVED] Problem with ethernet cable?

Aug 2, 2022
Hello everyone!

Yesterday i have changed my ISP (They replaced all the cables and stuff..) i contracted 900 mbps download speed but i'm only getting 100 mbps right now. (Yesterday and today was working at 900 mbps) and i don't know what could be the issue.

Thing i have tried:

Pinged my router with ping -t 192.168.1.1, 0% packet loss.
booting with a live USB of an Unix system (Manjaro), but i have the same speed.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Solution
So where do you see the 100mbps. If you see it on the network adapter status screen you likely have a bad cable, especially since you tested by booting a different OS.

You generally see about 94-96mbps on speedtest when it is a bad cable. When it is over that it is something else since the 94 represent the 100mbps cable speed less the overhead for the mac addresses which speedtest can not see.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your Ethernet adapter's driver. Can you please state the make and model of your router? If you're working with a desktop, check and see if it's got a BIOS update pending. Make and model of your motherboard(if it's desktop)?

Aug 2, 2022
I already re installed the drivers, and i'm having the same issue... another pc at my house have the full download speed, what else could it be? I have a B450m aorus mother board

So where do you see the 100mbps. If you see it on the network adapter status screen you likely have a bad cable, especially since you tested by booting a different OS.

You generally see about 94-96mbps on speedtest when it is a bad cable. When it is over that it is something else since the 94 represent the 100mbps cable speed less the overhead for the mac addresses which speedtest can not see.

Solution
Aug 2, 2022

I see it on the network adapter :/ so im going to call my ISP

Aug 2, 2022
If you have full speed on another PC, but limited speed on this one, ISP won't help you - it's the link between your PC and the router.

Move that "slow" PC to the the other room, and connect that "fast" PC' cable - what is the speed?
I can't move it right now, but since im having 94/96 like bill001g said, its probably the cable, the will come home tomorrow, thanks for your time!

When the ISP comes out you need to always ask them to test with there machine plugged into the route/modem before they leave. Then you know if there are issues it has to be your equipment. Some installers are lazy and don't check even though their process tells them they are suppose to.

Before you call the ISP and get a service call charge. Verify that the router has 10/100/1000 ports most do but ones with only 10/100 on wan and/or lan are still sold. I would try a couple different cables many fakes being sold. Veryify that your nic settings are Auto. Most router do not have this setting but you might as well check that you can't find a speed setting on the router.

This has to be a hardware issue most times cables but it can very rarely be a bad port.