Status
Not open for further replies.

somanyproblems1999

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
So I've kind of got two problems so I'll ask them both in one thread as I don't see any point in creating two threads plus one isn't as urgent as the other so if it doesn't get solved I won't be that upset.

Anyway, I've had this first problem a little while now and it's starting to bug the hell out of me. I have fine Internet, I get roughly 6-7 Mbps download speed and I am able to stream videos in 4K without problems. As well as this, I usually get around 35-60 ping on average with the highest being around 75 on a bad day. This all seems good but I have a major fault when trying to host servers using my Internet. At first I thought it was just on Civ but I later noticed it was pretty much every game using Steam, games not dependant on Steam seem fine so hopefully it's just a problem with Valve's servers communicating with my router. When hosting on Civ my friends will get an endless "retrieving host information" screen unless they disconnect and reconnect a million times. Once they have done this we only get about 10 minutes before they lose connection and we have to start the process again... This happens also on games like Ghost Recon: Wildlands, minus the host information error, and pretty much every other game on Steam. I have tried almost everything to fix this like reinstalling my network drivers, factory resetting my router, trying a different switch, trying a different Ethernet cable, trying wireless, flushing my DNS, releasing and renewing my IP address none of it bloody works! Also, in case it might have been Valve's servers I cleared my cache, I reinstalled Steam and all that other bollocks still to no avail. Another thing to add that I just remembered is that when using Steam browser in game if I use the URL bar I get error -505 whatever that is even though I'm still connected to the Internet. If anyone could solve this I would be so grateful as there doesn't seem to be a fix for me anywhere else on the Internet.

Second problem (not as important to me but would be nice if solved) :-

Okay so the second problem I have started quite recently, roughly three months ago. About twice a month I'll go to shut down my PC but instead of doing so the screen will go black and it will restart instead of turning off. When this happens no matter how many times I click shutdown it is the same outcome. The only way I've found to turn it off in this circumstance without having to force it off by holding the power button down or disconnecting the PSU is to enter "shutdown -s" into command prompt. Doing this however causes my startup to corrupt. This isn't as bad as it sounds it just means I have to put in my media tool USB and repair startup. This is annoying as hell and I haven't found a fix for this either or any other case of it happening under the same circumstances to anybody else.

Specs of my PC if it is of any use at all:

MSI Z270 Gaming M6 Motherboard
I7 7700K 4.5GHz CPU
Dark Rock Pro 3 Cooler
MSI PCI WiFi Adapter (don't use this just have it in case)
Corsair Vengeance LGX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz memory (dual channel)
Corsair CX 750M Power Supply
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 SSD 250GB
2TB WD HDD (C: Drive)
200GB WD HDD
ZOTAC AMP! GTX 1070 GPU
4 Silent Wings 2 fans
MSI Coolermaster Masterbox 5 case

somanyproblems1999

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

I can't see that as being the problem as if I needed to port forward surely it wouldn't let my friends join at all as the ports wouldn't be open. Like I said they can join for about 10 minutes or so before being kicked off.

I'd still try it and contact your ISP.

somanyproblems1999

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

I have opened all of the ports that Steam may require and I will let you know whether it works or not.

Just look up ports for a specific game and test it.

Status
Not open for further replies.