[SOLVED] Problem with iMac- Flashing question mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaithOnHuman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2015
Hey there! I got an old iMac from a friend (iMac 2007) He didn't remember his password so I tried to format the HDD on my PC and use internet recovery on mac to install the OS.... but ofc it didn't work (i am not surprised). I formated the HDD (the HDD works fine) as an HSF but, when the iMac boots it gives me a flashing folder with a question mark... Any ideas on fixing the problem?

tbh I just want to play around with os , I am not looking forward to using the iMac, since its already too old...

Solution
The flashing question mark indicates the Mac does not have a valid boot disk available, which given that you said you formatted the drive in another machine would make sense. Not sure that Mac would be able to use internet recovery though. IIRC, anything prior to 2008 has to be set up with physical media, which you need an existing working Mac to set up.
The flashing question mark indicates the Mac does not have a valid boot disk available, which given that you said you formatted the drive in another machine would make sense. Not sure that Mac would be able to use internet recovery though. IIRC, anything prior to 2008 has to be set up with physical media, which you need an existing working Mac to set up.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.