[SOLVED] Problem with rams

May 2, 2022
Hi, so recently I cleaned up my gaming computer, and I dont know why, since than, I can only can use 1 of my 2 Rams. So I tough and find out that one of them was problematic and bought newer ones. But the problem persist even with the newer ones...

I checked if every socket for the ram were working, and they are. I updated my bios, still problematic. Looked the cpu to see if any pins were problematic, none of them are bend of anything like that. Change voltage on bios too, + putted the ram at 1800 (before being 2133). Nothing works.

But what I saw is that when I boot my computer, even with only one, the cpu light turns on (the one warning you that theres a problem with it) + the ram one.. But after like 5 sec they turn off and the computer starts normally. Of course when I use 2 stick those light turns on but the computer never boot up over that. No screen display or anything like that. So I was hopping that you guys could help me with this cause even tho I am fine normally with problems and computer in general. I am lost..

Solution
Try shorting out the CMOS jumper instead of just removing the battery, and seeing if maybe that helps

Also, about changing the RAM's voltage, try slowly increasing it and testing with both sticks until it works

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

We're going to need a little more information. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You might want to disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes, then replace the battery and see if the issue is alleviated.

May 2, 2022
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x (bit more than 2 years of use)
Motherboard: it's a b550 phantom gaming 4

Ram: I had Basilick's 16 Gb (2x8GB) 3200Mhz. The newer ones are crosair vengance 32Gb (2x16GB) 3600Mhz.

GPU: I am using a 1060 6Gb from EVGA.

That's what I know, since I bought it about 7 months ago from someone, I dont know all the specs exactly (didnt note them all). But the rams were working fine until recently so.

MishterKirby

Commendable
Mar 4, 2021
Have you tried troubleshooting the sticks fully (testing them by themselves and swapping their positions around) ?
You might want to disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes, then replace the battery and see if the issue is alleviated.
And definitely try this, sometimes it's just the BIOS being funky

Sick Jacken

Honorable
Sep 26, 2016
you'll never have those mhz.. i think this forum should do a faq on ram idle novices such as myself.. i was once a pc enthusiast and i was randomly throw again into debugging bc of what i experienced ram issues, ram being new and also fine.. and to think i once overclock a intel core duo to from 1.6 >3.7ghz and i forgot a basic of ram.. So if you have 7000mhz ram, you have around 1333mhz real ram clock, now with 3200mhz you didn't specify which of both modules work am going with the 3200's ones you need to set it at 1600 then decrease the voltage.. so lucky my motherboard doesn't all this "dystopian modernism", being functions such as XMP and even power down enable which is a RAM power saving feature, it does have a UEFI though so compability'll never be an issue. All RAM modules needs to stay at 1.4, if your motherboard let's say has 1.2 as a voltage feature it means the ram isn't supported, so i've heard.

May 2, 2022
like I said, it was working before, but when the problem appeared, one of my 2 3200mhz wasnt working (which didnt help me) so I bought 32 GB (2x16GB) 3600Mhz, but the problem persist. And yeah the voltage is set at 1.200V. So how should much should I put it to hope that it works ?

Last edited:

MishterKirby

Commendable
Mar 4, 2021
So, running either of the sticks by itself works fine on both slots, but running them both causes the PC to not boot?

Could be a memory controller issue or a motherboard issue

Do you have a spare computer to test the CPU or memory on it?

May 2, 2022
sadly no... I only have this computer. But the CPU on his own is fine, the pins arent bend or scratched.. so I am kinda lost rn. If it's just getting the Bios to the good settings I'll try that for sure.

MishterKirby

Commendable
Mar 4, 2021
Try shorting out the CMOS jumper instead of just removing the battery, and seeing if maybe that helps

Also, about changing the RAM's voltage, try slowly increasing it and testing with both sticks until it works

Solution