Problem with Windows XP Fresh Install!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradk_1749

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Hey guys, I have reinstalled windows multiple times and never encountered this error..

I put the winxp cd and ran setup, it formatted the drive and everything, but then when it boots up XP and runs setup to config timezone and **** it interrupts and says the following:

Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

The parameter is incorrect.

(This is a legal copy of windows xp and everything is legit) Why am I getting this error? I can't progress through my windows install until this is fixed!!!

Try cleaning your Windows XP CD. You could also try another CD.

bradk_1749

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
ok I decided to go ahead and wipe the current installation because it's obviously corrupt... so now that I am at the Win XP Pro Setup Partition screen it lists 2 partitions..

C: Partition 1 [NTFS] 131,076 <130566 MB FREE>
Unpartitioned Space 8 MB

What the hell?! It's a 500gig SATA!

bradk_1749

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Alright, well either way I just reformatted again and tried to install and get the same damn fatal error... There is NOTHING wrong with my XP discs, what is going on?!

In my BIOS is says
Device: Hard Disk
Vendor: WDC-5000
Size: 500.1GB

SMART -AUTO
DMA MODE -AUTO
LBA/Large Mode -AUTO

everything in BIOS looks like it registers the HD just fine... all 500 GB

bradk_1749

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
Alright I am now prompted

"THe file 'asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located and click OK.

So I put in D:\I38\asms

and click ok and nothing happens... any ideas?

jazza

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2007
Hi there,

I've had similar problems installing Windows XP on a 500 gig SATA hard drive. I'm not sure what the solution is just yet, but this might help:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Flo ppy-F6-47807.shtml

Apparently, the XP installation CD doesn't have the SATA drivers you need to install windows directly to a SATA hard disk. The above article shows you how to insert the appropriate driver on an installation CD.

Going to try this myself. Hopefully it works..... :??:

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005

He's right, if your motherboard doesn't have native sata you'll have to load the drivers for it by hitting F6 at the beginning of the windows installation

Also, what version of XP are you trying to install... no service pack... SP1 or SP2? Your best bet is to get a CD with SP2 slipstreamed into it... because earlier versions of XP can't recognize drives greater than 137GB.

MacAllen

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
So new system, Intel DG33BU motherboard, SATA drives but not RAID. Originally booted up XP SP1 install disk, install got to "Installing Devices" then Bluescreened. Spoke to a few folks and apparently SP1 doesn't support my motherboard, so I needed to get an SP2 CD. OK, got an SP2 CD, booted up, started the install, and I don't even get as far as the SP1 CD, it instantly says:

Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error:
One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed

The parameter is incorrect.

Now, I have a floppy drive, but what I don't have is a floppy with SATA drivers on it. Why did XP SP1 get past this and SP2 not? Why am I crashing earlier? Where do I get SATA Drivers for this mobo? They're not on the Intel site ;(

Help?

Where do I get SATA Drivers for this mobo?

I suggest you start a new thread and list your questions there. Have you tried one DIMM of your RAM in slot one only and loading your OS that way? You might go into BIOS and bump up the memory voltage a notch or set the memory voltage to mfg. specs. Memory is often the cause of system failure when trying to run software like the installation of an OS. It has happened to me.

Open the MB support cd on another machine. Double click "My Computer" then open the MB CD files then open the 'Drivers' folder. From there, open the Sata folder and copy everything from the Sata folder to a floppy except the GUI and the Readme file.

MacAllen

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2007
Thought about a new thread, but I have this exact problem so figured I'd spare spamming the board with redundant threads.

Checked the Intel DG33BU Mobo CD....no SATA drivers, just video, lan, etc. Nothing on intel.com, either.

Pulled out 1 of the 2 DIMM's, no difference. Swapped it, no difference. It's wierd. I got further with my XP SP1 install CD than my XP SP2.

G

well.. thanks for all the reply, but i must tell you guys how i solve the problem.
i read the same topic on other forums and finally heard that it could be related to a bad cd burning process, dust on cds or even a bad cd/dvd reader.

Here i am , i have 2 cd/dvd readers. After getting the very same error message of everyone got, i swapped the installation cd to a different cd/dvd reader. now the installation goes smooth now.

just some experence

well.. thanks for all the reply, but i must tell you guys how i solve the problem.
i read the same topic on other forums and finally heard that it could be related to a bad cd burning process, dust on cds or even a bad cd/dvd reader.

Here i am , i have 2 cd/dvd readers. After getting the very same error message of everyone got, i swapped the installation cd to a different cd/dvd reader. now the installation goes smooth now.

just some experence

arrow, this thread is from July 2007. If you had read the thread, you would have seen where I suggest OP try a different DVD drive. Read the date of the thread before posting. Often it is better to start a new thread of your own. Most of the posters in this thread are no longer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.