ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Sorry if this is in the wrong section for this post.

I've got a BL460c blade server, which is currently booting into a MicroSD. On the MicroSD, I have burnt the iso image for Linux Ubuntu. It loads up fine and I'm presented with the main screen which asks whether I want to 'Test Ubuntu' without installed or 'Install Ubuntu'.

If I test it, I get to the desktop etc and it runs perfectly. If I go to install it, I can see the MicroSD is /dev/sda but it doesn't allow me to add a partition or select any to run the install (see screenshot URL). Is it possible to install an OS onto a MicroSD (Ubuntu or Windows?)

Alternatively, I do have an SSD connected but it doesn't show up in the install menu. In terminal I type fdisk -l and tried other commands but only the MicroSD appears, not the SSD. The SSD is definitely connected and has power because my server administrator panel does pick it up.

Screenshot URL: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1E-0XfsHRFUNFwYbwac4RZi8ho8-6MD0a/view?usp=sharing

Solution
Just to update, I found a port at the front of the blade servers where I could attach a cable for direct communication. It had multiple outlets coming off the cable (VGI, USB etc). I burnt Ubuntu onto a USB and then booted from the USB.

In order to install on the MicroSD I had to do the following:
Create a partition on the MicroSD so it shows as Free Space.
Then add a partition of 500mb as 'EFI' not ext4.
Then add a partition of the remaining disk space as ext4 and mount as /

Then reboot from USB and continue with installation of ubuntu to the MicroSD ext4 partition. I've now successfully installed Ubuntu across all of my blade servers.
You can't install an OS on the disk an OS is running from.

Ubuntu has a feature called persistent file which is basically a pagefile on the USB that can hold all the changes you make. This would be the easiest way to make your setup work.

If the blade can also boot from usb sticks burn a usb with ubuntu boot from that and install to the SD card.

A bit more complicated you can set up a virtual machine on your PC give it access to the whole sd card as a physical disk and install ubuntu on it from an iso image.
You will then have to make sure that you manually install all the extra drivers that the blade might need, if there are any.

Reactions: ajaz1986

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
You can't install an OS on the disk an OS is running from.

Ubuntu has a feature called persistent file which is basically a pagefile on the USB that can hold all the changes you make. This would be the easiest way to make your setup work.

If the blade can also boot from usb sticks burn a usb with ubuntu boot from that and install to the SD card.

A bit more complicated you can set up a virtual machine on your PC give it access to the whole sd card as a physical disk and install ubuntu on it from an iso image.
You will then have to make sure that you manually install all the extra drivers that the blade might need, if there are any.

Thanks for the fast response - I had a feeling this would be the case "can't install an ON on the disk an OS is running from".

The blade doesn't have a USB so from my understanding, the only option is to burn the OS onto the internal SSD and then boot from that and install to the SD Card. The issue is, the SSD's are not showing up... even as unmounted drives. Any ideas why this may be? They are directly connected to the blade.

I know how to setup a VM on my Windows 10 PC but not entirely sure how to give it access to the SD card on the blade server - so if I can avoid this option and get the SSD's accessible, that would probs be the easiest option.

I know how to setup a VM on my Windows 10 PC but not entirely sure how to give it access to the SD card on the blade server - so if I can avoid this option and get the SSD's accessible, that would probs be the easiest option.
You get an card reader for your PC and stick the SD card in it, windows will see it like any other normal drive, if you run VMware and set up a new VM you can choose the SD as a drive.

Reactions: ajaz1986

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Just to update, I found a port at the front of the blade servers where I could attach a cable for direct communication. It had multiple outlets coming off the cable (VGI, USB etc). I burnt Ubuntu onto a USB and then booted from the USB.

In order to install on the MicroSD I had to do the following:
Create a partition on the MicroSD so it shows as Free Space.
Then add a partition of 500mb as 'EFI' not ext4.
Then add a partition of the remaining disk space as ext4 and mount as /

Then reboot from USB and continue with installation of ubuntu to the MicroSD ext4 partition. I've now successfully installed Ubuntu across all of my blade servers.

Solution