Problems problems

JB

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
365
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I've just built a new nachine as follows:
Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI board
Gigabyte GV-3DI card (the twin 6600GT gpu that came with the board as a
bundle).
1 gig elixir ram
120 Maxtor Hard drive
Colorsit 550Watt PSU
AMD Athlon64 3.2 Skt 939
Software:
WinXP SP2 and all updates
DirectX 9.0c
3Dmark05 and Joint Ops (a game that came with the card) No other progs
installed at the moment.

Problem - The graphics are AWFUL!
Using the included drivers 3Dmark gave a score of 5906 BUT in the second
part of the test the screen was just totally scrambled

Joint Ops runs but there are parrallel lines down the left hand side of the
screen and a single line horizontlally in the middle of the screen. Where
they cross is a solid rectanglular block of colour. Green if it matters

Screen set at 1024x768 x 60Mhz

Exactly the same results occur with the Nvidia beta 77.76 drivers.

There is a 'tweak' programme on the driver disk but any changes made with it
from default make things worse as does using any of the preset Nvidia game
settings.

What am I missing?

Many thanks - Jb
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Those lines show how the screen is divided up for SLI load-balancing between
the two chips. It's a debug/demonstration feature that probably got turned
on by accident. There should be a checkbox in the driver panels (where you
can also select between split-frame rendering or alternative-frame
rendering).

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."


"Jb" <j.brewin@v21net.co.uk> wrote in message
news:42eba09f$1@news.greennet.net...
> Joint Ops runs but there are parrallel lines down the left hand side of
> the screen and a single line horizontlally in the middle of the screen.
> Where they cross is a solid rectanglular block of colour. Green if it
> matters
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 13:55:51 +0100, "Jb" <j.brewin@v21net.co.uk>
wrote:

>I've just built a new nachine as follows:
>Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI board
>Gigabyte GV-3DI card (the twin 6600GT gpu that came with the board as a
>bundle).
>1 gig elixir ram
>120 Maxtor Hard drive
>Colorsit 550Watt PSU
>AMD Athlon64 3.2 Skt 939
>Software:
>WinXP SP2 and all updates
>DirectX 9.0c
>3Dmark05 and Joint Ops (a game that came with the card) No other progs
>installed at the moment.
>
>Problem - The graphics are AWFUL!
>Using the included drivers 3Dmark gave a score of 5906 BUT in the second
>part of the test the screen was just totally scrambled
>
>Joint Ops runs but there are parrallel lines down the left hand side of the
>screen and a single line horizontlally in the middle of the screen. Where
>they cross is a solid rectanglular block of colour. Green if it matters
>
>Screen set at 1024x768 x 60Mhz
>
>Exactly the same results occur with the Nvidia beta 77.76 drivers.
>
>There is a 'tweak' programme on the driver disk but any changes made with it
>from default make things worse as does using any of the preset Nvidia game
>settings.
>
>What am I missing?
>
>Many thanks - Jb
>

is windows xp the home or pro version?
i recall reading that dual gpu requires pro.

dr ratt

---------------------------
so long............
and thanks for all the fish
---------------------------
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Jb wrote:
> Joint Ops runs but there are parrallel lines down the left hand side of the
> screen and a single line horizontlally in the middle of the screen. Where
> they cross is a solid rectanglular block of colour. Green if it matters

Disable "Show GPU load balancing"

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/
 

JB

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
365
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Many thanks for the speedy replies and in response to doctor.ratt I have Xp
Pro not the home version.

First of One, much respect, you hit the nail on the head. In the SLI
configuration panel I had turned the 'Show load balancing' option ticked.
Unticked it and the game plays fine.

In 3Dmark however I now find the score to be a max of 3513
Test1 - Highest FPR 24 Ave - 15
Test2 - 23 8
3 21 12
4 2 1
5 5 3

But all scenes are clear and viewable

Any thoughts on why such a low score?

Thanks Jb
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

"Jb" <j.brewin@v21net.co.uk> wrote in message
news:42ebec86@news.greennet.net...
> First of One, much respect, you hit the nail on the head. In the SLI
> configuration panel I had turned the 'Show load balancing' option ticked.
> Unticked it and the game plays fine.

I'm surprised you didn't read about all the SLI "features" before spending
so much money on such a combo. :)

> In 3Dmark however I now find the score to be a max of 3513
> Test1 - Highest FPR 24 Ave - 15
> Test2 - 23 8
> 3 21 12
> 4 2 1
> 5 5 3

You might want to toggle between split-frame rendering and alternate-frame
rendering and see which one gives you better results. Make sure your 3DMark
app is patched to the latest version, too. nVidia's SLI implementation isn't
as robust as 3dfx's from the old days.

--
"War is the continuation of politics by other means.
It can therefore be said that politics is war without
bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
 

JB

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
365
0
18,780
0
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Oh I read about SLI till it made my teeth itch :) That was partly the
problem! When I researched SLI I found this:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/Videocards/185/3/ and set it as per the
picture.

I suspect you may be right, again, but the setting 'Alternate Frame
rendering and Split frame renedreing are not there? Not greyed out unusable,
not there at all. I am now using the latest drivers from Nvidia and 3d mark
is a fresh download.
I tried Nvidias game settings which brought me to a new quirk. The Global
settings has disappeared and my only option is to modify one of the existing
pre-sets. I'm a recent convert to higher end cards and CPUs so messing
around is not something I'm really comfortable with at the moment.
Steep learning curve or what!

Thanks Jb
 

Similar threads


ASK THE COMMUNITY