Problems with external hard drive

Optix_23

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Hello Everybody,

So i recently got a new PC with Windows 8.1 and it comes with a 256gb SSD.

Now here's what I want to do:
I want to have Windows and the few games & softwares that I want to run on my SSD.

Other than that I want the rest of my stuff to be on my 1TB external hard drive.

How do I set this up?

I've already
-Changed the registry
-And changed the location of Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Music, etc (the folders)

But I have a problem
When I click Unigine Heaven for example, I get an error message saying windows cannot find E:/Computer/Program Files etc etc. That's normal, as that's not in the E drive but in the C drive. How can I move all these programs, and really choose everything that I want on my SSD?

mike789

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hello,
I think it is better if you keep the files you want and do a fresh installation of the programs you need, where you need them (C:/ or D:/ ). That way you may even save time cause this kind of troubleshooting takes a lot. Assuming that your ssd has the OS already.

Hey there, @Optix_23!

I'd second what @mike789 already mentioned and say that it's highly recommended to re-install software apps and programs when upgrading the hardware on your system (especially the storage devices).
Another big problem that you might encounter is the fact that you use an external (presumably portable) hard drive, which is very risky. USB-powered storage devices are not powerful enough to run constantly in your system (not to mention the slower transfer speed due to their external connection to the computer), you should consider using this as your backup drive and have 'all your stuff' from it copied somewhere else, in order to avoid any potential data loss.
You should try using a backup software or the simply copy/paste method for your data, and re-install all your programs.

Keep us posted if you have more questions! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Optix_23

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

You see the problem is I only have a 256gb SSD, and I definitely need more space, what would you recommend I do?

How about I just save documents, photos, downloads, movies, stuff like that on my portable hard drive and the software, and games on my SSD?

Would I have to re-change the directory back to my SSD and keep my documents, pictures, etc files on the portable?

Not sure what to do

UPDATE
Re-switched the dir to the SSD, just moved by desktop, photos, pictures, downloads, videos, music folders to the external hard drive.
Is this ok?

Hey again, Optix_23!

I guess it's okay, as long as you don't keep your portable HDD constantly connected without giving it a rest. Still, I'd recommend you to upgrade your storage and back up your precious documents and other files from the external to another external or storage device. Having all your data stored on just one single drive is very dangerous for your files. In case of failure, you are risking losing all your data, keep that in mind!

Good luck! Hope I was helpful! :)
SuperSoph_WD

TRENDING THREADS