Aug 2, 2021
So I am new here and I just need help with the PC. So I am fixing my friends PC and I get "no signal" on my monitor and black screen every time I start a game or just randomly. The PC still works but I can't do anything. I thought that the GPU was the problem or something so I pulled it out and plugged it in my PC to test it. And it works fine. Then I plugged my GPU in his PC and his PC started working fine too. The problem only happens when I put his GPU in his PC. What could be the problem? His GPU is RX570 STRIX 4GB. Maybe it's the PSU. He has some bad MS 550W PSU and 6 pin molex for his GPU, but still when I plugged in my XFX RX580 8GB card and plugged in that same PSU and molex it worked fine. I appreciate every answer I get. Thanks in advance!

Solution
The problem could be a terrible power supply and molex adapters. Adapters should seldom be used, only exception being 2 x 6 pin to 1 x 8 pin and when the cable wire gauge is of sufficient quality and thickness.

If your power supply doesn't need adapters, try it in his machine and see if the problem no longer occurs, then you'll maybe have your answer.
The problem could be a terrible power supply and molex adapters. Adapters should seldom be used, only exception being 2 x 6 pin to 1 x 8 pin and when the cable wire gauge is of sufficient quality and thickness.

If your power supply doesn't need adapters, try it in his machine and see if the problem no longer occurs, then you'll maybe have your answer.

Reactions: buzzer3356
Solution
Aug 2, 2021

It might be that, but if it is his bad PSU why doesn't the same thing happened to my GPU when I plug it in with his PSU, I connected the same molex to it and it works fine.

Aug 2, 2021
Not sure on that, but I've seen where molex to sata power connectors started a fire inside a case. I worked on one once and saw the scorch marks inside a silver metal case, and the hard drive with melted connectors. Don't run those adapters if you can help it.
You also thing it's because molex / bad PSU?

Never do that. If your power supply is a different brand/model than his, you can damage components. I think one person on here accidentally damaged a 3090 doing that.

What I suggested was to connect the cables from the one power supply to the other computer while still connected to the donor computer, NOT to swap the cables.

If you've just swapped the cables, you've not done what I suggested.