Question Problems with hard drives

Aug 9, 2019
Hi, i am having a problem that i once cloned my hdd to my ssd with the crucial sites acron trueimage tool, and now i did it again, cuz i needed to do something, and now when the cloning completed when i boot from the ssd, i cant see my hdd anymore, and if i boot from my hdd, i cant see my ssd anymore, ive never had this before, the disk shows up in device manager, whats the problem? any help appreciated, if you need more information, just ask me

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
try this

1. turn off pc
  2. disconnect the drive you don't want to boot from
  3. after everything is up and running, reconnect the drive

if you can read the drive upon reconnecting, my guess is there is some kind of safety feature that keeps the system from using two OS drives (with same OS, so two Win 10s rather than Win 10 and Linux) at once.

There is another issue. Win 10 is theoretically portable. Say your mobo crashes and you replace it. You can use your Win 10 and product key to work on the new motherboard. (You may need to install the OS again, though)

If on the other hand you have a working computer with a Win 10 install and you try to build a second computer with the same (same product key) Win 10 install, the OS is not going to work on the older install. One at a time is the rule.

If you want to have two Win 10 OS drives active with the same product key you might meet with a refusal on the part of the active system to work with both at once. Which ever one you use is the "new" one and the unused one becomes the "old one" that will get shut out.

You could test this by getting a second version of windows and see how it works.

Reactions: Tuntematon_Keilaaja
Aug 9, 2019
try this

1. turn off pc
  2. disconnect the drive you don't want to boot from
  3. after everything is up and running, reconnect the drive
if you can read the drive upon reconnecting, my guess is there is some kind of safety feature that keeps the system from using two OS drives (with same OS, so two Win 10s rather than Win 10 and Linux) at once.

There is another issue. Win 10 is theoretically portable. Say your mobo crashes and you replace it. You can use your Win 10 and product key to work on the new motherboard. (You may need to install the OS again, though)

If on the other hand you have a working computer with a Win 10 install and you try to build a second computer with the same (same product key) Win 10 install, the OS is not going to work on the older install. One at a time is the rule.

If you want to have two Win 10 OS drives active with the same product key you might meet with a refusal on the part of the active system to work with both at once. Which ever one you use is the "new" one and the unused one becomes the "old one" that will get shut out.

You could test this by getting a second version of windows and see how it works.
Hi, i shut off 5the pc, unplugged my ssd, and booted from my hdd, when the pc was back up and running, i still didnt see the ssd when i plugged it back in. what now???

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
Well I think the thing to do is hook up some alternate HDD or SSD drive (one that is for storage only, and that is known to work) and see if it shows.

If it does show, it is pretty likely that your system is telling you it doesn't want two operating system drives simultaneously active on the build.

If this third drive does not show, then there is likely a hardware issue: cables or the ports they are in.

Greg N

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
All right I ran an experiment on my Win 8.1 machine. When I plugged in a spare SSD clone of the current SSD with OS, the second drive did not show. When I rebooted, the PC came up normally and the second drive DID show.

I think that your issues lie in the process of cloning across different types of drives. The cloning process may not be perfect due to the differences of HDD and SSD.

So if you have to run two copies of the OS in the same build (why on God's earth?) I would suggest that you make it either two HDDs or two SSDs.

I take it your original is the HDD. It's been too many years since I switched to SSDs for me to remember how I did it. I'm not sure I did. I might have done a fresh install. Anyhow my suspicion is that the problem lies in an imperfect cloning process between the HDD and the SSD.

Nonetheless, this link shows you how to do HDD to SSD even if HDD is bigger.

So I would suggest you try doing the clone again and follow this guy's instructions EXACTLY. (15 min video)

Greg N

Aug 9, 2019
All right I ran an experiment on my Win 8.1 machine. When I plugged in a spare SSD clone of the current SSD with OS, the second drive did not show. When I rebooted, the PC came up normally and the second drive DID show.

I think that your issues lie in the process of cloning across different types of drives. The cloning process may not be perfect due to the differences of HDD and SSD.

So if you have to run two copies of the OS in the same build (why on God's earth?) I would suggest that you make it either two HDDs or two SSDs.

I take it your original is the HDD. It's been too many years since I switched to SSDs for me to remember how I did it. I'm not sure I did. I might have done a fresh install. Anyhow my suspicion is that the problem lies in an imperfect cloning process between the HDD and the SSD.

Nonetheless, this link shows you how to do HDD to SSD even if HDD is bigger.

So I would suggest you try doing the clone again and follow this guy's instructions EXACTLY. (15 min video)

Greg N
gotta try, thank you

popatim

Titan
The old drive was assigned C:
The new boot drive now gets C:
Windows can't handle both drives being C: so ignored the non-booted drive.
Enter into disk management and assign another letter to the old drive.

Booting the old drive produces the same behavior since it's now C: again. You'll need to enter Dev Mgmt again and assign the other drive a new letter

Now the nice part is Windows remembers these drive letter assignments and no matter which drive you boot, the other will show up with its assigned drive letter.

Reactions: gn842a