[SOLVED] Problems with Macrium Reflect.

loganwiniecke28

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
I just purchased a new Samsung QVO 1tb SSD to replace my 1tb WD HDD, but it seems that Macrium Reflect is having trouble cloning the HDD over to my SSD. Every time I attempt to clone it gives me this message "(D:) has a NTFS MFT record size smaller than the disk sector size." Just one more thing to note, the SSD is slightly smaller than the HDD (931 to 1024) however the information being cloned is only 74gb. I'd really appreciate any help on this matter, Thank you.

Reactions: marcolopespt
Solution
For secondary drives...your HDD and the new Samsung...you do not have to clone at all.
A simple copy/paste does the trick Yes, really.

Once done, swap the drive letters around in Disk Management, and the OS will never know the difference except for the new uber speed of the Samsung.

Connect this new Samsung, and copy paste all from the HDD to the Samsung.

loganwiniecke28

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
I read the article you linked, and I believe that the two drives may be incompatible with one another, seeing how the HDD is 4096 and the SSD is 512 which according to Macrium is not supported. If this is the case, what should I do? Is there any way to clone the drive to the SSD? Keep in mind that both of the drives are connected with a SATA port on my motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
And also, you'll need a USB flash drive of at least 4GB.

What we're planning to do is create an Image of the current C drive, then boot from the flash drive, and apply that Image to the new drive.
This (I think) will get around the sector size issue.

But get all the parts in place before we go into specific steps.

loganwiniecke28

Prominent
Mar 25, 2018
Okay.

M.2 drive 250gb (Bytes sector 512) - This drive is connected to my motherboard and holds my OS (Windows 10) and a couple of games. This drive, I would prefer to be untouched, seeing how no information needs to be transferred to or from it.

WD HDD 1tb (Bytes Sector 4096)- This is my media drive, it holds any miscellaneous files I have. I want to transfer its data to my new 1tb SSD so I can remove it entirely.

SSD 1tb (Bytes Sector 512)- This drive is new, and has nothing on it. I planned on transferring the data from my HDD to this one so it can take over as my Media drive.

My goal: to have transferred the information from my HDD over to my new 1tb SSD so that I can remove the old HDD from the system entirely.

USAFRet

Titan
For secondary drives...your HDD and the new Samsung...you do not have to clone at all.
A simple copy/paste does the trick Yes, really.

Once done, swap the drive letters around in Disk Management, and the OS will never know the difference except for the new uber speed of the Samsung.

Connect this new Samsung, and copy paste all from the HDD to the Samsung.

Solution

marcolopespt

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
Having the same error cloning 2 WD external drives (4 TB)

The drives are different models (one is a WD RED bought 2 years ago, the other is the NEW PLAGUE SMR DRIVES that i JUST HATE...)

I always make clone (sector copy) and now i can't with this new dive!

I get clone failed: "Volume cannot be shrunk. MFT record size is less than the disk sector size", though both drives were formatted with WD tool to make them MBR with 4096 bytes per sector.

Why is this happening?

USAFRet

Titan
Having the same error cloning 2 WD external drives (4 TB)

The drives are different models (one is a WD RED bought 2 years ago, the other is the NEW PLAGUE SMR DRIVES that i JUST HATE...)

I always make clone (sector copy) and now i can't with this new dive!

I get clone failed: "Volume cannot be shrunk. MFT record size is less than the disk sector size", though both drives were formatted with WD tool to make them MBR with 4096 bytes per sector.

Why is this happening?
  1. Please start a new thread for you particular situation.
  2. Why cloning external drives? Simple Copy/Paste would work.

marcolopespt

Reputable
Sep 6, 2018
  1. Please start a new thread for you particular situation.
  2. Why cloning external drives? Simple Copy/Paste would work.

Copy paste is NOT recommended (not without a program like TeraCopy, for example, that gives you options to react to errors and anti-virus interferences, etc etc)! Imagine a huge amount of data! MILLIONS of files... and suddenly an ERROR! Imagine the AV program interfering! Start the process all over? I did it many times in the long past...

With Macrium, the copy is done 100% equal, and even WHILE working! It's really amazing (shadow copy). And with the payed version you can copy only the differences...

Years ago, i used a program to backup files, that managed the "differences" and REMOVED what was not present anymore in the source disk, and then copied only the new files... I guess must go back to that tactic...

This is why i buy HD or SSD in pairs! (to match the size and geometry of the disks). It's the best thing to do when CLONE is needed.

USAFRet

Titan
Copy paste is NOT recommended (not without a program like TeraCopy, for example, that gives you options to react to errors and anti-virus interferences, etc etc)! Imagine a huge amount of data! MILLIONS of files... and suddenly an ERROR! Imagine the AV program interfering! Start the process all over? I did it many times in the long past...

With Macrium, the copy is done 100% equal, and even WHILE working! It's really amazing (shadow copy). And with the payed version you can copy only the differences...

Years ago, i used a program to backup files, that managed the "differences" and REMOVED what was not present anymore in the source disk, and then copied only the new files... I guess must go back to that tactic...

This is why i buy HD or SSD in pairs! (to match the size and geometry of the disks). It's the best thing to do when CLONE is needed.
I use Macrium daily. Literally.

Sure, you can use it to clone secondary drives. But that is NOT required.

Again, please start a NEW thread for your particular situation.
PM me the link if you want, and we can discuss further.

TRENDING THREADS