[SOLVED] Problems with PC I gave to my Nephew

SmirkingWolf

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
I built myself a new computer a couple years back, aside from the GPU and HDD. That being said, I don't know quite enough to troubleshoot things.

So for xmas I put in a different HDD and GPU into my old system to give to my nephew.
It's all used parts but it runs. Problem is, it's pretty slow. Can't play Fortnite (that's what he wants it for). Thing is though, I've played more detailed games on that system so I thought maybe it was the GPU I put in, so I took the one out of my computer and put it in his but it's still the same.

The GPU came from my cousin after he upgraded his. He had 2 of them in there. I would have put them both in my nephews system but the PSU couldn't support both. The HDD I put in is kinda old, 2014.

Any help as to the issue would be great, or if you know, it can even run Fortnite.

System Specs:
OS Name - Microsoft Windows 10 Home
System Type - x64-based PC
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Manufacturer - MSI
BaseBoard Product - MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522)
BaseBoard Version - 3.0
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) - 6.00 GB

Solution
Well, system is about circa 2008 or so, still have an X58 build myself. Even with Fortnite being light on specs, 7800 series is quite dated as well. What games play better that you mention? Could be that optimizations aren't there for the older hardware. To be more usable and costs low, I'd OC the CPU if possible, 4Ghz should be possible. Had my 920 @ 3.8 up from 2.66Ghz. A 2nd hand GPU, even a low cost RX570 would be a nice jump. I wouldn't otherwise put any more $ in this, but these two, if cooling permits, could stretch the system a bit more.
Well, system is about circa 2008 or so, still have an X58 build myself. Even with Fortnite being light on specs, 7800 series is quite dated as well. What games play better that you mention? Could be that optimizations aren't there for the older hardware. To be more usable and costs low, I'd OC the CPU if possible, 4Ghz should be possible. Had my 920 @ 3.8 up from 2.66Ghz. A 2nd hand GPU, even a low cost RX570 would be a nice jump. I wouldn't otherwise put any more $ in this, but these two, if cooling permits, could stretch the system a bit more.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS