srd

Run: rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks--
Running this command periodically seems to improve performance. I
understand it runs automatically every three days, but maybe that's not
enough if you do a lot of installations and uninstalls.
Why isn't this command better known? Is there a downside?

Stephen R. Diamond

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:eek:p.svxnxobk9bhpqa@jq0arm4,
srd <srd152000@earthlink.net> had this to say:

> Run: rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks--
> Running this command periodically seems to improve performance. I
> understand it runs automatically every three days, but maybe that's
> not enough if you do a lot of installations and uninstalls.
> Why isn't this command better known? Is there a downside?
>
> Stephen R. Diamond

David Candy has some information here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_b.htm

You may also find much of the same here:

Benchmarking on Windows XP: Home Edition and Professional:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/benchmark.mspx

It's reasonably well documented and it's fairly well known though honestly
I've not noticed any performance increase from using it though that's likely
due to my just not noticing.

Galen
--

"Chance has put in our way a most singular and whimsical problem, and
its solution is its own reward."

Sherlock Holmes

The functions performed by this command are automatically perfomed by
WinXP periodically, so there should be nothing to be gained by running
it manually.

Every three boots, not days.

Navigate to >>>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
OptimizeComplete
and see if it's working.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eek:p.svxnxobk9bhpqa@jq0arm4,
srd <srd152000@earthlink.net> hunted and pecked:
> Run: rundll32.exe advapi32.dll, ProcessIdleTasks--
> Running this command periodically seems to improve performance. I
> understand it runs automatically every three days, but maybe that's not
> enough if you do a lot of installations and uninstalls.
> Why isn't this command better known? Is there a downside?
>
> Stephen R. Diamond

srd

Interesting. From the "More Tweaks" panel of XP Smoker Pro 4.5: "The
button below optimizes your system for faster booting and application
startup. Windox XP does this dunction once every 3 days if it is idle. For
some people that may never happen. Such as if you use your computer
heavily and then shuit it off. This button will do it for you. You will
experience alot of hard drive activity. On some computers this can take 10
- 15 minutes."

The program doesn't tell you that you can get this from simply running the
appropriate command. But from what you say, there is error in addition to
omission.

Still, might it not be helpful to do this manually, if you seldom reboot
or do a lot of installations between reboots? The registry key is intact
on my system, but running this when I notice some slow down seems to help.
Maybe its a placebo effect; I haven't done any tests.

Stephen Diamond

--
srd

Any one of these just forces the disk layout...
defrag c: -b
or
defrag c: -boot
or
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

Disadvantages of Optimize hard disk when idle:
• Using a third party disk defragmenter. That app should take care of it.
• Running a laptop with a battery; defragmenting can use up power.

TweakUI also has an option.

TweakUI
[+] General
 Optimize hard disk when idle

Optimize hard disk when idle
[[This allows Windows to rearrange files on the hard disk when the computer
is not in use to improve performance. This is a system wide setting which
requires a restart for changes to take effect.]]

TweakUI changes this key to 0 or 1...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OptimalLayout
Value Name: EnableAutoLayout
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1
0 = disabled
1 = enabled

Value Name: LayoutFilePath (The path to layout.ini)
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\Layout.ini

Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks will rebuild the layout.ini file,
even if it has been deleted from %windir%\Prefetch. Layout.ini is the
OptimalLayoutFile.

Layout.ini is what keeps track of this....
[[XP keeps track of files used by every application. After several launches
of the same application, it has some sense of what files are required.
Thereafter, it uses an algorithm that says, basically, if a file has not
been used in the last six launches, it is marked for removal; if a file has
been used in the last two launches, it's marked for inclusion. Then based
on these notations, Windows XP determines which files need to be brought
into the block, and which ones moved out. When this move will take place
depends on several factors, such as how recently files were moved for this
application, and when the machine is available? Consistent with the idea
that disk activity should not interfere with performance, Windows XP won't
move the application files unless there has been no user-initiated I/O
activity for 13 minutes. Microsoft presumes this means the user is away
from the machine. It then begins migrating the files to the optimal place
on the disk.]]
From...
Performance Enhancements in Windows® XP
http://windowsxp.devx.com/articles/perfen/default.asp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
Value Name: Enable
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: Y or N
[[Accepted values for this entry are Y or N. If the entry is set to Y,
Windows automatically optimizes the file location for boot optimization.
This optimization occurs automatically if the system is idle for 10 minutes.
Boot optimization improves startup time by locating startup files in
contiguous clusters on the volume, reducing the movement of the disk head
when reading the volume.]]

Value Name: LcnEndLocation (disk address, end location on the hard drive)
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: Some number (disk address)

Value Name: LcnStartLocation (disk address, start location on the hard
drive)
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: Some number (disk address)

Value Name: OptimizeComplete
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: Yes or No
If Yes, boot optimization was completed.
If No there will be an entry in OptimizeError.

Value Name: OptimizeError
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: Insufficient space (The only error I have seen)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters
Value Name: EnablePrefetcher
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0, 1, 2 or 3
0 = disabled
1 = Application launch prefetching
2 = Boot prefetching
3 = Prefetching, both Application and Boot prefetching .
Parameters are ANDed, so if all were enabled, the setting would be
0x00000003. 1+2=3. The setting takes effect immediately. 3 is the
preferred setting.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Prefetcher
Value Name: BootFilesOptimized
Value Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: 0 or 1?
0 = No???
1 = Yes???

Value Name: LastDiskLayoutTimeString (should match time on layout.ini)
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: A date and a time.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.