kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
im looking for a new system to buy still and i need advice on what to get (i do some games like hf 2, halo, doom, etc) im not sure to go with intel or go with amd which is usually prefferd by gamers for i dont know what

endyen

Splendid
An equally priced Amd A64 chip will outperform an Intel chip across the board. The Amd chip has the added advantage of running several degrees cooler.
The Intel prescott chips have been called baseboard heaters, because they run so hot.

style69

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I dunno about pentium but this baby ownZ....auoonz :p

I wanna compare this to other CPUs but cant my windwos cant seeem to run PCmark05 :s

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
im looking for a new system to buy still and i need advice on what to get (i do some games like hf 2, halo, doom, etc) im not sure to go with intel or go with amd which is usually prefferd by gamers for i dont know what

Indeed, for gaming AMD has a sizable lead over Intel processors (Farcry can acheive a frame rate that is twice as high on an AMD processor vs an Intel chip for example). For the money, the X2 3800+ is a great buy, and will give you solid performance for years to go.

If you more focus on video encoding, music encoding, or other 3D tasks, Intel processors still have a lead in performance. Any of the Pentium D's would be a good bet here. However, as noted, Pentiums tend to produce much more heat than an AMD processor.

Personally, I wont use anything but an AMD processor in a desktop. But that's just me :)

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
i appreciate the help and appreciate that you guys arent saying to go for amd all the time all though you are big fans im hoping that a x2 3800 will last me at most 2 years anyone have other suggestions or cheaper processors to go for