Project Ara Update: No More Magnets, No Puerto Rico, But It's Coming In 2016 (Maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
batteries may not be bog enough? than make it the size of a AA and bulk it out a bit, see with aria i get to chose what i want, and if i want a good battery and dont care about how it looks, i get to make that call, not some executive who wants to race to be a credit card.

i already hate smartphones and phones, they have no bulk and feel like crap to hold up to your ear.

^^^ Agreed. One reason I always went with phomes like Motorola Droid X, Razr Maxx HD, and the Turbo. They feel heavy and big. GF has a S6 and I cant stand holding it. I feel like i will break it. I dont want thin and light i want thicker and heavy. Been following this since waaay back in the day and i like how it is coming along. And if battery life is an issue then combine modules like they said and leave room to add a second battery.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
A Project Ara customer could carry as many batteries as the customer wants to and they should be far easier to switch (no need to open up your phone).

pervbear

Honorable
Jan 2, 2013
A Project Ara customer could carry as many batteries as the customer wants to and they should be far easier to switch (no need to open up your phone).

For most that would only be acceptable if one of 2 things were to happen an instant on type feature like you press a button it save states and you swap or the device has 30-60 seconds of life when you remove battery to replace.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
A very good paint (not that I mind too much if I have to wait 30 seconds to power the phone back up) but building capacitor power for that should be possible.

G

ara _will_ have a little battery included that enables the user to hot swap batteries. at least until they slash that feature as well.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Ditto on the battery life part. If I want a big battery, I'll shell out the $$ for it and deal with the looks. my phone is not a fashion statement -- its a tool.

Others will see it different, so give them the the option of a slim and light battery.

Give both types their preferred options and you will get $$ from both types.

but im really bothered by this part
-- Another interesting change made to the platform is that Ara is becoming a little less modular, and the group seems to want to stick more components together in the same module in order to save space.

Sounds like the modular phone is becoming a lot LESS modular which rather defeats the purpose.. in that case I will keep my $$

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I've been bugging Project Ara on Twitter (seems to be the main point of contact for the group at present, unfortunately) for more details. You know, sometimes products are delayed...it happens. But this smells bad to me. I'm concerned that they're chasing their tails at this point.

They had a "working prototype" over a year ago. They're *just now* figuring out that the drop tests aren't up to snuff? They're going back to the drawing board on the technology that *connects the modules together*? They're moving around the intelligence from modules to cores?

That's really bad news. They're not tweaking the final design, they're rethinking core, fundamental aspects of the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.