[SOLVED] Pros and Cons of fast startup ?

Feb 9, 2022
Beside it starts windows faster. Does it actually benefit hardware in any way? Make things easier for the cpu and increases it’s lifespan? Anything physically actually useful of it other than “fast start up”? For it being Recommended. Or it’s complete the opposite, because I’m not that in rush to get my computer turned on a few minutes faster, but I’d definitely like it on if it’s better for the hardware.

Last edited:
Solution
What is your boot drive?
If you have an NVME or SSD, fast startup won't help, you might as well turn it off.
If you have a hdd, it might make it faster to boot.

if your PC takes a few minutes to boot, fast startup would be for you. Windows 11 takes 15 seconds on my pc, without fast startup on.

Con - If you unplug your PC a lot, having fast startup on could lead to windows getting corrupted.
If you remove ssd a lot and put in another, having fast startup off on both could save headaches.
many drivers written before 2015 might not behave well with fast startup on as its a new power mode that they weren't written for.

seems someone wrote your post as an article -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
What is your boot drive?
If you have an NVME or SSD, fast startup won't help, you might as well turn it off.
If you have a hdd, it might make it faster to boot.

if your PC takes a few minutes to boot, fast startup would be for you. Windows 11 takes 15 seconds on my pc, without fast startup on.

Con - If you unplug your PC a lot, having fast startup on could lead to windows getting corrupted.
If you remove ssd a lot and put in another, having fast startup off on both could save headaches.
many drivers written before 2015 might not behave well with fast startup on as its a new power mode that they weren't written for.

seems someone wrote your post as an article - https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

Last edited:
Reactions: ZuluGapurtu
Solution
Feb 9, 2022
Does Windows 10 Fast Startup has any benefits for the hardware? Other than quick boot up. Or the opposite? reduces lifespan. *got answer on an other thread. However, are there any other benefits from it other than quick start up.

Another question,
I’m new to Windows 10 and I had Windows 7 ever since sp1, and it never caused any issues to my hardware, not to talk about it reducing its lifespan. Is windows 10 utilizing hardware better? for example does it has better impact on the RAM, SSD,CPU,GPU. I don’t give a damn about how fast it is, I care about if it properly utilizes my PC hardware so I won’t get in a year from now a message “there’s a problem with your cpu mate”

Last edited:
Does Windows 10 Fast Startup has any benefits for the hardware? Other than quick boot up. Or the opposite? reduces lifespan. *got answer on an other thread. However, are there any other benefits from it other than quick start up.

Another question,
I’m new to Windows 10 and I had Windows 7 ever since sp1, and it never caused any issues to my hardware, not to talk about it reducing its lifespan. Is windows 10 utilizing hardware better? for example does it has better impact on the RAM, SSD,CPU,GPU. I don’t give a damn about how fast it is, I care about if it properly utilizes my PC hardware so I won’t get in a year from now a message “there’s a problem with your cpu mate”
Get the proper bios and drivers and w10 will be fine.

Feb 9, 2022
One another question. Where exactly is that start up kernel thing stored? Is it within the hard drive the OS installed? So for instance I got OS I use on an SSD with start up enabled. I unplug that ssd and put in place another SSD with same Windows 10 but start up disabled. The PC hardware has nothing to do with it correct? When I will turn on the PC I will see the time on in task as PC just started? Then put back the old ssd with the OS with the startup enabled the system time on won’t be reserved and continue from where that was left.

Hope you got me, I’m speaking technically though, wondering if everything is within the hard drive and it’s not storing some kernel stuff or whatever else where out of the ssd

Colif

Win 11 Master
fast startup is saved in the hiberfil.sys file on your ssd

If you unplug a PC or remove the ssd from the PC, it will not use the fast startup settings on the next startup. For fast startup to work, the drive needs to have constant power. Unplugging the PC will interrupt power and the PC will use the same power up method as previous windows versions, load everything from C drive.

Fast Startup combines elements of a cold shutdown and the hibernate feature. When you shut down your computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows closes all applications and logs off all users, just as in a normal cold shutdown. At this point, Windows is in a state very similar to when it’s freshly booted up: No users have logged in and started programs, but the Windows kernel is loaded and the system session is running. Windows then alerts device drivers that support it to prepare for hibernation, saves the current system state to the hibernation file, and turns off the computer.

When you start the computer again, Windows does not have to reload the kernel, drivers, and system state individually. Instead, it just refreshes your RAM with the loaded image from the hibernation file and delivers you to the login screen.

if you use an ssd you don't need it on.
If you move ssd between PC I wouldn't have it on, I have seen it corrupt installs from losing power.

it doesn't do any damage to PC to have it on. I have seen it catch some out when they left PC attached to power during storms and it hasn't booted next time, but that is more the storms doing than the modes.

When I will turn on the PC I will see the time on in task as PC just started? Then put back the old ssd with the OS with the startup enabled the system time on won’t be reserved and continue from where that was left.
if you have it off, time on is always since startup
If you have fast startup on, its time since the last restart operation

Restart in power menu actually turns PC off between the shutdown/restart action. It is only time a PC with fast startup is actually off.

Last edited: