PS2 - USB Keyboard issue

G

Hey everyone!

I have an ASUS P5KSE EPU with latest BIOS update.
It have the APM functionality that allows the PC to be turned on by pressing PS2 keyboard spacebar.
It works fine on PS2 keyboards, but nothing for USB keyboards.

I got the adapter (USB/PS2) and it worked on a gerneric USB keyborad.
ps2_usb.jpg

But then I bought this new DELL USB Keyboard
T2AAlWXXFcXXXXXXXX_!!83128663.jpg

Now this keyboard wont work on the adapter.

I did some research and I found this:

Some older keyboards, such as the IBM Model M, require a PS/2 signal converter, rather than a simple USB adapter. This is because that keyboard uses significantly more power than a regular keyboard and needs to have its connection signals preserved to work properly.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5896875_convert-usb-ps_2-keyboards.html

Question: My cheap USB to ps/2 green or purple adapter is not auto-detected by Windows plug and play and I can’t get it to work. Where can I download the drivers?
Answer: The vast majority of commonly available USB to ps/2 converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the USB wires to the approximate ps/2 wires. Simple USB to ps/2 adapters do not use specific software drivers.
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/334819

I don't want to give up this keyboard.

Any help?

I see this type of issue all of the time, and simply it will either work or it won't work. I use and like Hybrid Sleep (S3+S4) and I'm happy with that arrangement; not to mention a cool UPS that senses the PC in sleep and turns-off several plugs (my desk light if I want).

I'm pretty sure that you are only going to find those adaptors to go from usb to ps/2 and your saying that you only want to turn your Pc on by pushing the space bar on your keyboard?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008650%20600009661&IsNodeId=1&name=PS%2f2

I guess if you really want to only turn your Pc on that way then you should get a ps/2 keyboard , there are a lot of choices on this page.
The Dell keyboard that you have and don't want to give up looks like any run of the mill inexpensive keyboard. What is so special about it that you don't want to give it up?

G

The Dell keyboard that you have and don't want to give up looks like any run of the mill inexpensive keyboard. What is so special about it that you don't want to give it up?

Down here in Brazil we have a lot of rubbish low quality plastic keyboards.
I bougth this one because the superior material quality.
I could buy some other PS2 on ebay, but not on Brazilian ABNT keyboard layout

Nowhere in your previous post did you mention where you lived so a lack of communication is to blame here because we couldn't figure out what was so special about the keyboard.
Have you tried Amazon for any keyboards that might fit your needs?
Also does the turning on of the computer have to be with the keyboard? It seems that there might not be a solution to what you want and unless you can get something to work for you like the keyboard you may be stuck turning on your computer just like everyone else , with the power button.
What is the Brazilian ABNT keyboard layout?

G

Thanks inzone.

Well, the Brazilian ABNT layout is very similar to UK' and US'. But there are some extra charachters that makes the accent easier to type.

I'll keep this keyboard and use the conventional power on button although the spacebar is way more accessible here.

Thanks everyone!

G

Now, that sounds like a good idea!

power.jpg

I could build an extension to the case's back plate/slots and then another extension (plugged on the first ext.) to the desk.

I'll wonder about that!