PS3: 80010201 Error, No Ethernet Cable Detected, No Access Point Detected

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Hello everyone, I am at my wit's end.

I have Time Warner Cable and a D-LINK DIR 655 Router. For years, all I needed to do was plug in my PS3 (the larger body first run unit from 2008) with an Ethernet cable and the internet worked just fine.

Suddenly, within the last month, when I boot up I am unable to sign in to PSN, browse the web, or otherwise connect to the internet. I check internet settings and the PS3 "thinks" that it is not plugged in to the Ethernet at all with "No Ethernet Cable detected, please plug in an Ethernet cable." Both ends of the cable are clean. I power cycled everything, multiple times. I tried different ports, different cables, even plugging into the modem directly. Nothing with the PS3. Any other device I plug in hops on the internet just fine.

I tried switching to wifi on the PS3. "No access point detected."

I called a local repair company. They suggested System Restore. No luck. Restore File System via the diagnostic boot. No luck. Finally, Rebuild Database via the diagnostic boot. No luck.

It was like the Ethernet and wifi card completely died. No way to get on the internet.

I figured the PS3's time had come so I bought a new unit but haven't opened it yet...

I tried one last time to boot up the old PS3...just to make sure...and, to my shock, it connects straight to the Internet and downloaded update 4.6. All I did was leave the unit alone for a day after doing a system restore. The system rebooted after the update and I could use Netflix, Amazon Streaming, etc. I thought ,"Wow, ok I can take the new unit back. Thank goodness I didn't open it. Finally a break to save some money."

THEN, suddenly and without warning...the dreaded network error 80010201 appeared. Couldn't log back into PSN, kept getting dropped from Netflix.

So I researched it and tried changing the DNS. First to Google's, then to OpenDNS. I did this for the router as well. No luck. I am right back to where I started all these DNS efforts failed, "Please plug in an Ethernet cable" "No Access Point Detected."

My wife uses the PS3 to entertain our teething one and a half year old via blurays and streaming, but also games for toddlers. I need this unit connected to the internet and have spent hours over the last few days trying everything. Again, power cycling, different cables, ports, direct connection to modem, DNS changes, router changes, etc. Nothing works. Any other device plugs in and works straight away. Not the PS3. My router admin settings clearly recognize the PS3 and assigns it an IP but the PS3 itself cannot connect to the internet.

Should I open my new PS3 unit and try that? At first I thought it was hardware until I miraculously connected to the Internet and downloaded the patch. But then it failed again, so I thought maybe it's Time Warner Cable? But I have had TWC for years and all this was working flawlessly until recently.

I have no idea what to do. I read every forum post imaginable and tried each suggestion and I just can't find a fix. If anyone can please help, that would be great.

Solution
*Update*

I came home from work yesterday and the wife gave me that glare which said, "Fix this...or else." I think I mentioned earlier - our 1.5 year old is teething and the PS3 previously provided a source for Netflix / Bluray Movies in our downstairs entertainment center.

I did not realize this, but discovered that M$ allows you to run all the streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, TWC, etc) with Silver instead of the for-pay Gold membership over Live. Therefore, I dug up my old Xbox 360 and hooked it up with my new Linksys router.

Instant internet connection, downloaded all the updates, setup all the streaming services and my wife was thrilled. The PS3, which I still cannot connect for the life of me even with all of your...

festerovic

Distinguished
Download the firmware update file and place it in the correct folder structure on a FAT32 formatted USB memstick. Install the latest firmware and try again.

Do you have the latest firmware upgrade on the router? Try defaulting the settings as well (save your config first). I have the DIR-665 and I had to fiddle with the settings to get my ps3 to connect correctly over the years.

Try disabling IPV6 on your LAN.

Do you know which connection type was being reported by the internet test when it worked? It would be Type 1, 2 or 3.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Does sound like a dry joint on the hardware of the PS3. but having said that the wifi and ethernet are separate on the PS so you think one would work. Perhaps its problem further down in the hardware.

If no better suggestions come along you may as well open it and make sure all the ribbon cables are nice and tight.

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

I was able to download the latest PS3 firmware update last night during a miracle window in which I had Internet access with the machine. I took your advice and updated my D-Link firmware to the most recent edition.

Now, on boot up, the PS3 briefly connects to the Internet before I am dropped with the 80010201 error. When I try to reconnect, "Please plug in an Ethernet cable." It does this routine each time I start up the machine after powering down. I manage to get in about three minutes of Netflix before the drop occurs.

I set my DNS on the PS3 to OpenDNS settings. 208.67.222.222. That is where I am right now.

I'll try to disable the IPV6. As for the Internet test and type, I'll have to write it down once I get it working again. Thanks for your help, not sure what to do next.

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

Before my son came along, I would be game for opening up the PS3 on the dining room table to take a look at it myself. But these days, with so little energy to try a project like that (my son is teething and up all night), I am afraid I wouldn't be able to pull it off. Agh the old days before kids when I had time to tinker!

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

I looked it up and it is Type 2. Dunno if that makes a difference on what to do next or not. Once again, it logs in briefly, then drops me. I am really afraid to open the new PS3 I bought in fear that the same problem will occur with that unit. I just have no idea how everything could be working great and suddenly this error appears.

festerovic

Distinguished
Type 2 tells me that the PS3 should be able to use all services. You usually only get type 2 if your router is behaving correctly. (with regards to NAT traversal)

Well, if this was me I would:
Try one last time with the router connected, and disable the Media server option in the Network Settings menu in the ps3. It has been known to affect network performance on ps3.
"Turning off Media Sharing Improves connectivity so turn that off, unless you really use it." ---as quoted from the Playstation directions.

If that didn't work:
Try your PS3 at a friends house.
Remove the HDD from the ps3 and replace it with another (not using backup or any of that) for a test
Have time warner swap cable modem
remove router from the equation - direct connect the PS3 via a NEW ethernet cable (cat6) to the cable modem. Make sure its cat5e or cat 6, not the garbage they bundle with cable modem and routers.

final:
smash ps3 with rocks and light on fire with kerosene
remove USB ports with small needle nose pliers.

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/285/kw/80010201%20/related/1

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

Sorry it has been a few days. Thanks for your suggestions, I have a new update regarding my situation.

1) I disabled the Media Servers and tried yet another patch cable. No luck. The unit would sign in, let me do things online for five minutes, then sign me out. Same at reboot. Most frustrating PS3 thing ever.

2) I took the unit to my father in law's house yesterday. He also has Time Warner, but uses a different type of modem and router. PRESTO. PS3 instantly connects to the Internet with BOTH hard line and wifi. I was able to stream movies, download my trophy data on friends list, use PSN, the internet, everything. All the tests worked with the proper upload and download ping/speed. It was like the perfect unit again. Worked flawlessly.

Therefore, back at my place, it must be either my router or Time Warner. I am leaning towards my router, simply because my dad and I both use the same service plan with TWC albeit fifty miles a part. I still am perplexed though as to why everything else works with my current setup, just not the PS3. A MAC issue? DNS? Filtering? Assigned IP?

I am happy to buy a new router if that might work. I used Linksys in the past and wasn't really happy with the brand. Maybe Asus would work and is a good brand? The other thing that bothers me is why the wifi on the PS3 was able to detect other access points in my dad's neighborhood and not the other access points that my neighbors have setup with their router back at my place? In other words, why didn't my PS3 recognize other routers at my place but suddenly scan and recognize other's in my dad's neighborhood?

Anyway. I am going to try to hook the PS3 up to my computer monitor in the office upstairs to see if something is interfering with my wifi downstairs. Regardless, I am going to run a hard line no matter what...but it is good to know that the unit is fine...it just must be the router or TWC.

Additional input would be welcomed and appreciated.

festerovic

Distinguished
Its not Time Warner, its your router. One last thing for you to try:

Go to Advanced
Go to Firewall Settings.

Two things to try here:
1) change the NAT endpoint filtering to Endpoint Independent for both TCP and UDP.
Test PS3 and see if that works
2) disable SPI and then retest the PS3.

Oh, I forgot to ask before: have you tried DMZ?

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Latest update:

After researching the Asus AC68U, Netgear Nighthawk, and the Linksys WRT1900AC...I decided to go with the Linksys. I had a 10% off coupon that really came in handy. My son has had a slight fever for days and is in the midst of teething, so I just barely had enough time to set up this behemoth of a new router tonight.

It is fantastic because I can finally utilize 5.0GHz for all of my modern devices (particularly the numerous iPhones and tablets we have in our house in an extremely 2.4GHz heavy neighborhood). It was easy to set everything up and the speeds are great so far. Loving my return to Linksys (even though I know its owned by Belkin now).

***BUT***

Wait for it....

THE PS3 STILL DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET. I am still getting the DNS drop error and cannot get the unit to recognize the Ethernet port or the Wifi access point. It is like I am back at square one. All of this worked perfectly at my father in law's on Sunday. I am totally perplexed.

One thing that is nice though, is that my new router has a network mapping feature. It clearly tells me that a PS3 is connected but the LED that signifies port 2 (the LAN that it is connected to on the router) doesn't light up...meaning no true connection to the Internet for the PS3.

It is late, so I haven't had time to try the latest ideas you all have been suggesting. Thanks for posting them! I will try to get to them tomorrow after work. Just wanted to hop on and say that I bought a new router (I am happy and will keep it regardless of this PS3 issue...it was time to upgrade) but still can't get the PS3 online.

yimmi

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
check different channels,if you have many wireless in your neighborhood it is possible that can be the problem try changing to channels 1,11 or 13,also regarding the ethernet enter to your routers administration uncheck upnp(or disable depending on the router you have)

Your router may show a connection to the PS3 even though the PS3 has lost connection. This may be due to the DHCP lease not having expired yet. I know my asus router shows connections even after a PC/device has be turned off.

TheDocSays

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
*Update*

I came home from work yesterday and the wife gave me that glare which said, "Fix this...or else." I think I mentioned earlier - our 1.5 year old is teething and the PS3 previously provided a source for Netflix / Bluray Movies in our downstairs entertainment center.

I did not realize this, but discovered that M$ allows you to run all the streaming apps (Netflix, Amazon, HBO Go, TWC, etc) with Silver instead of the for-pay Gold membership over Live. Therefore, I dug up my old Xbox 360 and hooked it up with my new Linksys router.

Instant internet connection, downloaded all the updates, setup all the streaming services and my wife was thrilled. The PS3, which I still cannot connect for the life of me even with all of your setting suggestions, is now regulated to offline bluray duties only. It stinks having two devices do the job of just one, but at this point a happy wife is a happy life (somewhat) as we continue to struggle with parenting a grumpy teething toddler. With service back in action we promptly watched "Dinosaur Train."

Down the line, if I have more time, I will try to tinker again. In the end, it must be the PS3. The only anomaly is why did the unit work at my father in laws perfectly, but just will not work at home with different modes, cables, resets, firmware, setting configurations, etc.? At this point, I have to believe it is the PS3 itself. Otherwise, why would the Xbox and every other device work perfectly?

In the end, I am happy with my new Linksys router and am glad I spent the money towards that (the boost in all of our devices is noticeable) instead of a replacement PS3 that would have no guarantee of working anyway. I curse the DNS PS3 error code forever! It's going to bother me that I never fully solved the problem...but at this point there is a lot on my plate (I am a grad student trying to finish my dissertation) that requires my attention.

Thanks for all of your help!!! You folks are swell and I will return here again for all my electronic questions/concerns.

Cheers!

Solution

Thedarkpersian

Reputable
Aug 13, 2014
Hi any chance of making it work. Im having the same problem but for me it stays connected from 1 to 60 minutes. I read on other web pages about that error but people had also problem with syncing their controllers too so people say it is a hardware problem. That is not my case my controllers work perfectly. Also, based on the fact the the ps3 connects to the net I'm assuming that something is wrong with my router/modem. So does anyone has a solution.