gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I’m considering buying myself a backwards compatible version of Playstation 3, as some of it’s models are apparently backwards compatible with PS2. I would be cool to have a single device for both gaming eras.

For one, however, not all PS3’s are PS2 compatible.

For two, even these which are, sometimes won’t play physical PS2 disks; they demand buying games off the PS store.

I’m thinking: copying disks onto a large HDD storage as the solution. A key question arises:

* which PS3 model is capable of both running PS2 games AND running them off a HDD drive?

Thank you!

Well you need a hacked PS3 to do that and all version have been hacked.
The easiest is the first generation the FAT PS3, the ones with 4 USB ports on the front are the most compatible but those with 2 are also alright, they can take a full custom firmware and just run simple PS2 .iso files without having to do anything special to them.
Anything newer is being hacked by using a hybrid firmware plus exploits, connecting to the net and running them on each boot (manually) and there is a whole procedure to turning ps2 games into something that they can run, but at least it's possible.

Reactions: gordonfreemanjr

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Last edited:

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
@TerryLaze Ok, so I’ve done some digging. I know that the versions I should be hunting are CECHA01 and CECHE01.

However, I read that the main problem of both is that they are launch consols, which more often than not makes them die soon. That said, apparently running PS2 games on PS3 makes the PS3 die out even sooner.

Now, you said something about hacking PS3’s. The last thing I want is to set myself a great, working hybrid system and see it die next month.

Is there any way to make the setup last? Keep in mind, I’m after running ISO’s from an external HDD.

Thanks. Does the GB capacity matter in my case? That is, if I want to run .iso files from a HDD?

Also, would it by any chance be also PS1 compatible?

Is this the one?
https://allegro.pl/oferta/konsola-ps3-fat-cechg04-1pad-okablowanie-10205598890
It’s 20 GB, but 2 USB ports only.
This one is fine, it doesn't have real PS2 mode but it can be jailbroken and can play PS2 games from isos.
All the PS3 models can run PS1.
https://old.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/ps3xploit_nor
Just read the instructions and be very careful what you do.

Well all of those consoles are close to 15 years old now so they are going to break at some time, playing any demanding game will make the console heat up and if the cooling isn't working very well anymore it's going to overheat and slowly die.
I mean if you have a PS3 and as soon as you run anything it sounds like a vacuum cleaner better stop using it.

gordonfreemanjr

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
This one is fine, it doesn't have real PS2 mode but it can be jailbroken and can play PS2 games from isos.
All the PS3 models can run PS1.
https://old.reddit.com/r/ps3homebrew/wiki/ps3xploit_nor
Just read the instructions and be very careful what you do.

Well all of those consoles are close to 15 years old now so they are going to break at some time, playing any demanding game will make the console heat up and if the cooling isn't working very well anymore it's going to overheat and slowly die.
I mean if you have a PS3 and as soon as you run anything it sounds like a vacuum cleaner better stop using it.

What if I got myself a new, unused PS3 and then jailbreak it to play PS2 and PS3 ISO’s?