PS4 and Xbox 720 Graphics Specs Toe-to-Toe, Says Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]WoW! So the graphics will only be four years behind PCs on the 2014 release date... Now this is progress...[/citation]

And then will be only more than a decade behind PCs when their successors arrive at around mid 2020s.

junnyeen

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Are they learning from the Wii with outdated graphics? Luckily there's no system that will outperform it in comparison (excluding PCs)

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Rumours! Ah well, we'll see when they are released. If it's true, it'd be a sad thing indeed considering most PC gamers already own better hardware than that, but due to console development we'll still have to spend a lot of money to be able to run badly-optimized console ports.

It'd be a good thing if both became more PC-like, though, because especially the quality of PS3 ports should go up if it's easier to develop for. Also, it just might make the PC first and then adapt for consoles approach more viable - which would make everyone happy. But that's just wishful thinking.

ramon1

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The PlayStation 3 will reportedly have the edge over Microsoft's new console thanks to the APU's built-in graphics core.

Such a badly written article, furthermore, the rumor is that it's the next box the one which will have two GPUs, not the PS4.

So... You need a PC anyways, because consoles still will not run Office and many other necessary functionality programs, so instead of buying a seperate $500 console why not just add $3-500 to your PC budget?
You can emulate all of your old games as far back as the original NES/ATARI, and play all of the modern games with higher settings, with higher frame rates, better textures, better filtering, and still have the option of a USB controller if that strikes your fancy.
I'm really unclear as to how these consoles sell so well...

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Not sure that I care, until I see official specs and see what can they actually do.

For example, I play on PS3, and at least of the game that matters the most to me,
they still have not even try to use the power of that console.

For example, this game is still produce at 720P.... after all this years.
PS3 is perfectly capable of 1080P and a lot more, but THQ chooses NOT to.

We all know why they are in trouble waters...

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
To build a new console for under $400, it is going to have to use older hardware, not to mention it takes a long time to develop a console. You can't just put in the newest GPU at the last second.

Think about this, would you be able to run a game like Gears of War 3 on a PC with a Celeron Dual-Core, 512mb ram, and an Nvidia 7600 512mb? No, but on a console you can, that's pretty much what a 360 is.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]junnyeen[/nom]Are they learning from the Wii with outdated graphics? Luckily there's no system that will outperform it in comparison (excluding PCs)[/citation]
Wii seemed to do just fine with outdated graphics. it's not everything.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Interesting... I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but its great to see that AMD is going to be providing the graphics and even CPU chips. Obviously, this means that PCs will still be more powerful than their console counterparts. However, because AMD is providing the chips, does that mean we'll have more AMD-optimized games in the future, especially when it comes to console ports?

G

If they sell them at a loss like in the past they would be about $200 each or $150 if they give you an option to download all games and eliminate the disk drive.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]So... You need a PC anyways, because consoles still will not run Office and many other necessary functionality programs, so instead of buying a seperate $500 console why not just add $3-500 to your PC budget?You can emulate all of your old games as far back as the original NES/ATARI, and play all of the modern games with higher settings, with higher frame rates, better textures, better filtering, and still have the option of a USB controller if that strikes your fancy.I'm really unclear as to how these consoles sell so well...[/citation]

The average console user most likely just wants something that works. They don't want to troubleshoot any misc problems that may arise with Windows. To put it bluntly, console *only* users are dumb or inexperienced to put it nicely.

That said. It looks like the PC games will be held back due to consoles, once again. FFS Microsoft and Sony.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
So according to the rumors the GPU in the Wii U will be basically on par, if not faster than the GPU's in the PS4 and next XBox? Except the Wii U will be coming out at least a year ahead of the other two consoles.

The HD6670 leak for the next XBox has been floating around for a while now without revision, so I'm assuming there's probably some truth to it. Last I checked the HD4870 outperforms the HD6670 in practically every benchmark out there. I guess we'll have to wait for final specs, but at least in comparison to their desktop counterparts, the Wii U seems to be at least on par in terms of discrete graphics performance.

ang1dust

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]Sad indeed. My ASUS G73JH will still beat the "NEXT GEN" consoles.[/citation]

Bet you wont have to repaste the video card though. But i do agree with you.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]Interesting... I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but its great to see that AMD is going to be providing the graphics and even CPU chips. Obviously, this means that PCs will still be more powerful than their console counterparts. However, because AMD is providing the chips, does that mean we'll have more AMD-optimized games in the future, especially when it comes to console ports?[/citation]
You make a really good point there. As long as AMD plays their cards right and gets both of these consoles, it's going to be around a lot longer than we are being led to believe.
I remember that the xbox 360 had a graphics chip in it that was about 2 tiers less than the highest desktop card out at the time. These are going to be 5-6 less... It's sad, but I'm sure everything's going to work out just fine. I dare you all to say Microsoft and sony don't know what they're doing.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]AsTheDeath[/nom]Rumours! Ah well, we'll see when they are released. If it's true, it'd be a sad thing indeed considering most PC gamers already own better hardware than that, but due to console development we'll still have to spend a lot of money to be able to run badly-optimized console ports.It'd be a good thing if both became more PC-like, though, because especially the quality of PS3 ports should go up if it's easier to develop for. Also, it just might make the PC first and then adapt for consoles approach more viable - which would make everyone happy. But that's just wishful thinking.[/citation]

+1, it also means less headache for the developer, less development cost, etc... write once, everyone happy because pc and console will get the same experience, while still scalable to high end.

ehaser

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
Microsoft and Sony obviously tested the specs on their consoles and came out with a configuration that allowed them to play games at 1080, at a certain fps, at a certain cost point. It makes perfect sense that both companies are toe to toe when it comes to their graphics.

I predict that there wont be another change to a console until a time comes when TV's have a new resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.