PS4 to Have Resolution Advantage at Launch vs. Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbake

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
"Besides, those who are truly after the best technical experience out of these games should be playing them on a PC."

NUFF SAID!! PC FTW :)

Unfortunately, some of the titles aren't available on PC.

PraxGTI

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
"Unfortunately, some of the titles aren't available on PC. "

Unfortunately, this is because the people driving the console market want to take away the PC because it is too open. Instead of focusing on making a good game, they focus on DRM and Copyright. Listen up game makers, make good quality games and you won't have to worry about people downloading them illegally. You better believe after the SimCity 5 launch that I would never pay cash for another EA game before having at least 2 weeks to play it and try it out first.

As a side note, boooooo EA...boooooo...

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

So skip them. Console exclusives are just a scam to make you buy that console. If there weren't a ton of idiots who buy into it, it wouldn't happen.

garrickaking

Honorable
Sep 2, 2013
Wow... I went to give tons of praise to this single statement and find I've already been beaten to it.

"Besides, those who are truly after the best technical experience out of these games should be playing them on a PC."

This is the smartest thing ever said in any article about any console / game.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

Not totally true. keep in mind consoles actually predate the PC. My first at home video game experience was on a Sears Pong system. Then I moved to the Atari 2600. A lot of us old guys have fond memories of the console. More importantly though the console is cheaper/ smaller and comes out of the box with controllers which are very ergonomic. Thus it fills a role in the gaming market which would otherwise not be fully serviced.

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

consoles are pcs...
consoles do predate the IBM standard (a computer by one company would not work with bits from another company think of it today as being dell computers can only have NVidia cards and HP computers can only have AMD cards)

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
"Although the Sony hardware has the technical lead, a less than perfect software scaling up to 1080p has handicapped its expected lead over the Xbox One version, which in some cases has it looking slightly crisper, if more aliased."

IMO, the Xbone seems to apply some sort of sharpness filter. Very clearly seen in the BF4 comparison shots. While the PS4 doesn't.

Aaaaand, we all know Frostbite 3 is still using the shittiest AA mode in existence: FXAA
Which applies Vaseline blur on the display. So that might explain the soft PS4 shots.

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
So these next-gen consoles that there was all this talk about matching high-end PCs still can't even run games that are specifically optimized for them at native 1080p (and probably using lowered settings)....

Can we as a gaming community finally stop drinking the "next-gen" kool-aid? My biggest concern is they're going to KEEP holding back the advancement of monitors and GPUs made for higher resolution gaming.

pcegamer

Honorable
Oct 19, 2013
Framerate>textures>res. Well, depending on the style/genre of the game.

That said, I looked at the side by side comparison pics of the XO and PS4 versions of BF4. If they claim AA in either game, they're full of it. I can see jaggies in both pics. The difference in resolution appears to be very little (although in motion it could be bigger. Hard to tell with pics), but the difference in the crispness of the textures stands out between the two console versions. The XO version has much crisper textures and the look higher res as a result. More pronounced bump mapping on the XO textures too. That gives it a better visual pop than any res difference between the two (900p vs 720p isn't that great of a leap). I hate 'vaselne' texture look. I'd take a drop in res as a trade off to better/shaper textures any day. So the XO version looks better overall IMO.

That said, both versions look fantastic for these new consoles. The $400 price tag of the PS4 makes it as pretty decent option IMO. Of course, I'll be playing this on PC :) (fps games with gamepads sucks)

Oh no! I'm worried about who's going to get my viewership on youtube let's plays! Hah!

I don't make a habit of gaming on the llano system, but I do prefer 720p with better effects and more fluid frame rates versus trying to play at higher resolutions and turning things down.

As long as the gameplay is good, its fine.

The latest PS4 FAQ suggests keyboard/mouse support may be up to the game devs.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

Really? Is this your attempt at a joke? You can't seriously be trying to make the claim that good games get pirated less than bad games. That is a totally ridiculous and factually inaccurate statement. A couple minutes of browsing any torrent site will demonstrate how stupid this is.

leaderWON

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
*sigh* megapixel myth applies to game consoles now? i'll take sharp '720p' over blurry '1080p' anyday. fortunately i dont have to make that choice on my pc. "next gen" is looking like a stinker already. slighty off subject: gta5 was painful to play at 30fps on 360 after enjoying gta4 on pc. my next gen will be a new gpu...

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
With the NVidia and AMD price wars, $400 to $500 will go a lot further towards buying a better video card or even a second card and give me lots more for my money than a throttled down game console struggling with 720p and 1080p at medium res. Thanks but no thanks, I'm sticking with the PC.

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The announcement today that the PS4 has no DLNA, no ability to play MP3's, cannot view a JPG, cannot play a CD does not bode well. I have both a PS3 and XB360. What a cool DLNA box the PS4 would have made with all that power to process codecs. Terrible when they **arbitrarily limit the capabilities of such a powerful device.

leaderWON

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
"$400 to $500 will go a lot further towards buying a better video card or even a second card and give me lots more for my money than a throttled down game console struggling with 720p and 1080p at medium res"

i've been trying to convert my console playing friends based on variations of this argument for years. especially considering several of them already have decent PCs minus the gpu. i guess its just human nature to stick to what you (think you) know...

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

Your right about that, Its going to be pretty much just a gaming machine that plays BR disks. I know I may catch it for this statement but If I was to consider a console in the future it will be an XBOX One, I like the media features on it. I'm beginning to see there is a lot to loose for the 100 dollar price break on the PS4.

Quite comparing PC to next-gen consoles people.

Not everybody can afford to build a quality gaming PC or even want to deal with the hassle of driver updates, troubleshooting etc, or the NOISE in the living room (PS4 has single, quiet fan). They just want to plug it in and have it work.

A $200,000 Mercedes Benz might be an awesome car but if I have $20,000 I'd get a Toyota Corolla.

I love my high-end gaming rig but there's a place for the PC and consoles.

sirskeetsalot2013

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Don't forget its 5400 RPM SATA II 500GB hard drive, that games must be installed on to even play. (and 1 TB is the biggest since it has to be 9.5mm for the hard drive) Can't use external HDD either. Can’t share to YouTube, only Facebook.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012

Yea, You make a good point on that one.

doogansquest

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
That was a comprehensively misleading article title. The Xbox One is still going to prove better than the PS4, it will sell hotter, have more exclusive titles, and more manufacturers on board. It will crossover other platforms smoother, and oh yeah, will still have the vastly superior Xbox Live.

Graphically, both have tremendous horsepower under the hood. Just because one Skinner Box game company had "technical difficulties" doesn't mean you will notice one pixel of difference between the systems side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.