Question PSU Blew up

Feb 23, 2019
Hello guys,

I'm in a litte problem here. Yesterday I put my new PC build together with EVGA 750 B3 power supply. Everything nice and tidy, pretty sure everything plugged in correctly (it's not my first rodeo).

Then when I was going to plug the pc in and start the PSU up, sparks came out and fuses in my apartment blew up. I immediately unplugged the PC, switched fuses on and disconected the PSU. Smelt burned electronics. I tried to plug in the PSU on its own with the exact same result. So I let it be and looked for a solutions which led me here.

Today I tried to test the PSU on its own, following a guide, this time with connected PSU fan. Same result, but this time when I tried it again with duffrrent outlet, when I tested it again it was not responding at all no sparks, no fan, no fuses gone, completely dead.

Now my questions are. How likely is my other PC components got damaged? When I return the PSU should I get the same one (I read here the EVGA 750 B3 had a lot of problems during testing, so I'm not sure). Will they even return it when it's completely fried? Is it possible it shortcircuited because of contact with the metal PC case or something? Could it be the PSU cable?

Thanks so much for any and all answers. Cheers lads

Feb 23, 2019
By the way. Full PC specs are

PSU: EVGA 750 B3
CPU: Intel I5 8600 k
RAM: 16 BG DDR4
MB: MSI Z370-A PRO
Graphics card: GAINWARD GeForce GTX 1070
CPU Cooler: SilentiumPC Fera 3
HDD, SSD

if it was the cable the psu would work with a different cable, sounds like you got a bad or damaged psu during transport... evga doesn't mess up usually so with a bit of luck the protections held and it's just the psu that's toasted.

no, contact with the metal pc case has nothing to do with it, and cable you can rule out by trying out the previous cable you had. but normally no, a bad cable doesn't do this.

Reactions: Kysman

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
I've had a PSU blow up on me before. It was a British made unit, the Hiper HPU-5K8802. There were no casualties in my case. Not sure if there will be any casualties in your case, you just have to test everything and find out.

Reactions: Kysman
Feb 23, 2019
I've had a PSU blow up on me before. It was a British made unit, the Hiper HPU-5K8802. There were no casualties in my case. Not sure if there will be any casualties in your case, you just have to test everything and find out.

Well to test them all out I'd need a working PSU, right? :D