[SOLVED] PSU buzzing sound, and power button LED is now red instead of blue ?

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Every now and then upon turning on my PC, the PSU, GAMDIAS ASTRAPE M1-750B, makes a buzzing sound, but still powers up as usual. I've confirmed that the sound is in fact coming from the PSU. I haven't let it do that for long though, being afraid that something might be damaged in the process. It goes away once I power my PC down and back on again. I don't think it's ever started happening while already running. It only ever seems to occur when booting up the PC.

Here's what the buzzing sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/K0Xddn7WHJw

And here's what the PSU sounds like normally:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/04XqRBjM0h0

I haven't had any BSODS or had anything else of note happen, besides USB issues and a Samsung 1TB SSD fail on me after having it for less than a year. Could that have been because of the PSU?

My specs are,
CPU - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor
RAM - 16 GB DDR4
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
PSU - GAMDIAS ASTRAPE M1-750B
OS - Windows 10
2x SSD 240GB
1x SSD 1TB

Another thing I've noted is the LED of the power button used to be blue, but at some point in time has become red. I don't know when this happened, or why.
kwJopYE.jpg
tne4EXs.jpg

Solution
How old is the PSU in question? Have you tried working with another, reliably built PSU? Could be the reason for the issues you've spoken then again, it could also be due to a pending update...but that noise isn't a healthy thing have in or around your PC. You should also look into getting a different IEC cable that plugs into the PC, it looks flimsy, badly built. You forgot to mention the make and model of your case as well.

Lutfij

Titan
How old is the PSU in question? Have you tried working with another, reliably built PSU? Could be the reason for the issues you've spoken then again, it could also be due to a pending update...but that noise isn't a healthy thing have in or around your PC. You should also look into getting a different IEC cable that plugs into the PC, it looks flimsy, badly built. You forgot to mention the make and model of your case as well.

Reactions: Made-a-Fool
Solution

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Right, sorry. The case is a Prism 500. The PC itself is a prebuilt I bought a little over 4 years ago from SkyTech called 'Oracle X.' I don't know the specifics, but considering the PC is 4 years old, I'd assume the PSU is too. The IEC cable is just one that I found off of an old TV, haha. I moved my PC and the IEC cable it came with wasn't long enough, so I used that one instead. You're definitely right that it's flimsy, but the PSU made that noise even before I changed cables.

I've never tried another PSU, but I will purchase one as soon as possible. Do you have any recommendations for one that's better than a 750B?

Lutfij

Titan
I'd borrow an unit as opposed to buying...troubleshooting doesn't mean you throw money at the problem, you throw known working parts. Once you've found the issue gone with a reliably built unit, you can then go and buy it.

The noise could be from a faulty fan, then again it sounds like arcing or coil whine cranked up to 7~8(on the amp).

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I was planning on getting the Thermaltake GF3 850W, but I realized, I don't know anything about this haha. It's modular-- which the PSU I have now is not-- and most of the reviewers say the cables are terrible quality, and some of them aren't even the correct voltage. What cables are recommended for the GF3?

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Also, this doesn't really matter since I'm going to purchase a new one, but something I realized is that the buzzing only occurs when I power on my PC without the 'silent mode' switch on. I always use my PC with the silent mode on, and only ever turn it off if I'm gaming.