[SOLVED] Psu cable extensions causing gpu issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2020
Hi. Back in August, I built a pc with a refurb 1080ti. After about a week from overclocking and using a cheap psu, my gpu failed. I bought a new gpu with a new evga psu and I had similar issues. However, I was using new $25 cable extensions from amazon. Also, what was different with this gpu compared to the 1080ti before it, was that the issues started immediately after install. However, I thought it was another bad gpu, and I moved on. I bought a garuntee working gpu from ebay still under warranty. I plugged it in and boom, issues. It actually got so bad that I couldn't even install drivers for it after the issues started. Every time I called up EVGA, or Zotac ( depending on the manufacturer) and Nvidia. They all confirmed that it was a bad gpu each time. I went through all troubleshooting, including checking both pcie slots on the motherboard, and the issues still remained. The weird thing is that the pc works fine without the gpu. I RMA'd the newest EVGA and the replacement is scheduled to be here on Thursday. I dont want to have issues again. So, my hypothesis is that the psu cable extensions are causing the issues. What do you guys think?

Solution
The easiest thing is to try without the extensions first. Maybe try for a week or so, and see if there are any issues. Then try the extension again, and if issues appear again, you know the problem, and need to immediately stop using those extensions.
Nov 13, 2020
Oh, I forgot to mention. I saw that there were people who had the same issues after using cable extensions, that went away when they weren't used. This is also leading me to believe that it is the extensions.

The easiest thing is to try without the extensions first. Maybe try for a week or so, and see if there are any issues. Then try the extension again, and if issues appear again, you know the problem, and need to immediately stop using those extensions.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.